Director, General services and procurement
- Position title: Director, General services and procurement
- Grade: EL5
- Position N°: 50000329
- Reference: No ADB/16/104
- Publication date: 19/10/2016
- Closing date: 09/11/2016
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (HRCS) ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The complex leads efforts to digitalize and transform the Bank into a knowledge-driven workforce, promote human resources policies that enhance talent, drive a performance-driven culture, and ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice. The complex ensures that all Human Resources and Corporate Services are re-aligned to drive greater corporate performance and execution of the Bank's strategic vision and priorities. The complex is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, General services and institutional procurements, Language Services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The primary roles of the of the General Services and Procurement Department (CGSP) are to manage the Bank’s assets, oversee all corporate procurement of goods, services, work and real estate, coordinate all staff travel and transport of Bank’s goods and staff, catering services and other logistics arrangements and the mail services and keep staff informed about services offered. To this end the CGSP department formulates and applies rules for procurement, storage, and maintenance of furniture, office equipment and supply; design, prepare and implement programmes for the construction or acquisition and maintenance of buildings and premises; formulate and ensure the proper and effective application of administration policies within the Bank in such areas as communications, transport, travels, security, protection and safety of the Bank’s staff and property; and perform related duties. The department is responsible for managing the Bank’s fixed assets (valued at over UA 100,000,000). The CGSP department comprises 3 divisions supervised by the Director General Services and Procurement. These divisions are: (i). Operations and Maintenance Division (CGSP.1); (ii). Corporate Procurement Division (CGSP.2); and (iii). Support Services Division (CGSP.3).
The Director, CGSP reports to the Vice President HRCS and is key to the attainment of the Bank’s transformative agenda for Africa through ensuring that there is adequate management of the Bank’s administrative affairs and assets management. Notably: (i) the optimization of the Bank institutional procurement and expenses; (iii) cost benefit analysis on some of the Bank services such buy/construct vs lease, negotiation of services such as travel and hotels catering, cleaning, transport, insurance.
Duties and responsibilities
The Director is responsible for developing a strategic approach to defining, planning, organizing, coordinating and leading the activities of the Department. His/her duties include:
1. Lead the strategic formulation of Bank-wide Medium Term Resource Framework in line with key corporate priorities, guided by sustainable general administration and institutional procurements;
2. Lead the effective delivery of the CGSP department work and budget programming;
3. Ensure the effective budget resources management with the objective of cost saving;
4. Ensure that the KPIs set for the department are met;
5. Lead CGSP management team by regularly assessing the management team and intermediate level management skill mix and learning needs with the support of the Human Resources Department;
6. Promote the Gender strategy by ensuring that the Bank is a safe place for women to work by making available provision of gender related equipment in all Bank’s offices premises;
7. Lead and monitor the change management to ensure that the ultimate goal of the Bank is met and propose or recommend any corrective measures;
8. Lead the strategic staffing of the department and the performance appraisal of work performance, appraising staff potential and determining training and development needs; and lead the staff enjoyment in CGSP within the framework of the Bank’s corporate vision on staff engagement;
9. Lead the institutional procurement planning and implementation to ensure that staff are empowered with a clear focus on clients’ orientation and focus for clients results including planning, directing and controlling all activities relating to institutional procurement, storage and maintenance of furniture, consultancy services, equipment and supplies including, development and implementation of policies and procedures for procurement of goods and services (e.g. equipment and supply purchase, service contracts, insurance);
10. Lead the implementation of all institutional procurement ahead of time to ensure that the services rendered are effective and client focused;
11. Lead the implementation of fixed assets and offices space planning to support the Bank’s mission including the decentralization strategy e.g. effective and efficiency definition of field’s offices sizes in line with the Bank’s orientation including the preparation of management and board decision document for purchase or leasing including renovation or outfitting of country office buildings;
12. Lead the management of Bank’s Assets by directing and supervising activities relating to operations and maintenance of Bank buildings and related facilities including developing and implementing standards and procedures for operations and maintenance of Bank buildings, facilities, inventories, space;
13. Lead and supervise all activities relating to staff transport and travel by formulating, proposing and implementing rules and policies for official travel and transportation;
14. Develop, propose and implement policies and procedures concerning the acquisition,allocation, operations and maintenance of the Bank’s vehicles and the use of personnel or rented vehicles;
15. Lead Cost and benefit analysis for CGSP core activities;
16. Lead the work program related to the formulation and implementation of proper and effective application of administrative policies within the Bank in such areas as restaurant, communications protection and safety of the Bank’s property;
17. Lead the communication work program and resources programming related to the Bank’s mailing services:
18. Direct and supervise activities related to management of all the Bank’s assets by formulating management policies, for assets at Headquarters and properties at residences (Cité BAD/villas and other Bank’s properties in the Bank’s country offices;
19. Perform other related duties such as participate in various standing committees’ meetings such as Annual Meeting Committee, Purchasing Committee and Board meetings dealing with matters related to the Department’s function.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Engineering, Management, Business Administration or closely related disciplines;
2. Have a minimum of ten (10) years of extensive and progressive experience in an internationally recognized Financial or development Institution or similar to the Bank, five (5) years of professional experience should be at a managerial level;
3. Have a professional qualification in asset management, project management or in institutional procurement will be an added advantage as well as competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP) and software relevant to project administration (share point) and standard Microsoft Suite of applications such as Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint;
4. Strong managerial skills, including interpersonal communication and client-orientation;
5. Proven experience in strategic planning, financial analysis report writing and reviews;
6. Demonstrated experience in impact and scenario analysis;
7. Ability to undertake sound analysis (skills and methods), in order to conceptualize future work or organizational changes and develop strategies for change which includes strategic mind-set and capacity to translate strategic thinking into a compelling plan of action of a large international institution;
8. Ability to work in partnership with a broad range of client contacts and demonstrate commitment to results that are in the client’s best interest;
9. Ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long term interests of clients within and outside the institution;
10. Ability to develop a successful leadership style to establish and achieve exceptional organization performance and the ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment;
11. Demonstrated ability to ensure the timely accomplishment of tasks in the Department by giving valuable advice and providing constructive feedback;
12. Ability to build and lead a motivated and committed team across functional boundaries and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
13. Strong interpersonal skills. Capacity to influence and inspire confidence;
14. Excellent written and verbal communications skills in French or English with a good working knowledge of the other language.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.