About the President
Elected by the Board of Governors, on the recommendation of the Board of Directors, the President is the Chief Executive and conducts the business of the Bank. The President is also the legal representative of the Bank. Since its inception, the Bank has had six presidents and one interim president, namely:
- 1964-1970 Mamoun Beheiry (Sudan)
- 1970-1976 Abdelwahab Labidi (Tunisia)
- 1976-1979 Kwame Donkor Fordwor (Ghana)
- 1979-1980 Godwin Gondwe (Malawi) Caretaker capacity
- 1980-1985 Willa Mung’Omba (Zambia)
- 1985-1995 Babacar N’diaye (Senegal)
- 1995-2005 Omar Kabbaj (Morocco)
- Since 2005 Donald Kaberuka (Rwanda)
The AfDB President is also the President of the Fund as well as the Chairman of the Board of Directors. He determines the organizational structure, functions and responsibilities as well as the regional and country representation offices. He proposes to the Board of Directors the appointment of the Vice-Presidents who assist him in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group.
Je suis très fier de Mr KABERUKA qui a su faire de cette Banque une Institution solide et dynamique et côtée à l'echelle mondiale. J'apprécie à sa juste valeur la nouvelle structure institutionnelle mis en place sous son initiative et qui répond actuellement aux besoins de développement du continent.
Enfin, je souhaite plein succès pour le bon accomplissement des actions futures.
I personally wish you success and congratulation to you and your family.
- 13/12/2013 - The Interdenominational Service for the Memorial of President Nelson Mandela - Remarks by the AfDB President Donald Kaberuka
- 12/12/2013 - I have learnt from Mandela that none of us has all of the solutions, says AfDB President Donald Kaberuka
- 12/12/2013 - Mandela : une source d’inspiration pour le personnel de la BAD