From Farm to Market
Moderator: Mr. Jeff Koinange, Chief Reporter, K24, Kenya
Lead Speaker: Hon. Akinwunmi Adesina, Federal Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Nigeria
- Hon. Agnes Kalibata, Minister of Agriculture and Animal Resources, Rwanda.
- Hon. Luc Oyoubi, Minister of Agriculture, Gabon
- Hon. Mr. Manuel Chang, Minister of Finance, Mozambique
- Hon. Tress Bucyananyandi, Minister of Agriculture, Animal Industry & Fisheries, Uganda
Rapporteur: Mr. Chiji Ojukwu, Director, Agriculture & Agro-Industry, AfDB
Africa’s agriculture sector accounts for 15% of GDP, is the main source of income for 90% of the rural population, accounts for 20% of export value and provides employment for 57% of the labour force, 47% of which are women. The continent is also rich in biodiversity. Yet, Africa imports US $25 billion worth of food each year, with only US $1 billion coming from Africa. The value chain approach to agriculture could assist to identify viable, remunerative income-earning opportunities, and market linkages that drive agriculture, and engender inclusive growth. Supporting agricultural value chains is central to the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy (2013-2022), but this has not been well engrained among stakeholders, especially at the policy level. The objectives of this side event are to:
- Discuss, demonstrate and inform stakeholders of the transformational benefits of agricultural value chains; and
- Encourage Bank Regional Member Countries and partners to invest in the approach.
These efforts will assist to better position African agriculture to respond to future challenges and demands.