Green Growth: The Future for Africa
Moderator: Ms. Yvonne Ndege, Presenter, Al Jazeera
Opening Remarks: H. E. Stanislas Kamanzi, Minister of Natural Resources (MINIRENA), Government of Rwanda
- Hon. Trevor Andrew Manuel, Minister, National Planning Commission, South Africa
- Mr. Richard Konteh, Chief of staff, office of the President of Sierra Leone
- Mr. Mounkaila Goumandakoye , Regional Director for Africa, UNEP
- Mr. Henri-Bernard Solignac Lecomte, Head of Unit, Europe, Middle-East and Africa, OECD
- Mr. Landry Ndriko Mayigane, President of the Youth Alliance for Climate Action in Rwanda
Rapporteur: Mr. Daniel Schroth, Principal Energy Specialist, Energy, Environment & Climate Change Department, AfDB
The transition to green growth and inclusive growth represents the overarching objectives of the AfDB’s Strategy for 2013-2022. The objective of the side event is to discuss how green growth can support economic transformation and improve human welfare on the African continent. Given the increasing demand of African countries to apply green concepts to their particular development circumstances, panelists will reflect on early lessons learned from pioneering country level activities within and outside Africa, explore the implications for the enabling environment and discuss support through innovative financing instruments. The main focus will be predicated on the need to build a more comprehensive and robust development model, which promotes growing the African economy, while sustainably managing the continent’s natural assets and fostering social capital. The event will highlight opportunities for achieving growth targets and development objectives, while maximizing natural resource use efficiency, reducing waste and pollution, and strengthening resilience of livelihoods.
How can we create large scale investing opportunities to kick start this action ?