Drought Crises and Food Insecurity in Africa: In Search of a Cure
- Date: Monday, 28 May 2012
- Venue: Arusha International Conference Center
- Time: 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Moderator: Daniel Makokera
- Eng. Mahboub Maalim, Executive Secretary, IGAD
- Prof. Alhousseini Bretaudeau, Executive Secretary, CILSS
- Dr. Kamal Elkheshen, Vice President, African Development Bank Group
- Ms. Anab Abdulkadir, Pastoral Community Representative
- Dr. Modibo Traore, Assistant Director General, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the UN
The arid and semi-arid pastoral regions of Africa are experiencing repeated and increasingly more severe cycles of drought crises. These regions are faced with an increasing human and livestock population on a fixed natural resource base, in the face of increasing climate variability, and the recurrent droughts that have eroded the coping abilities of many households.