High Level Seminar 2: Greening the Economy-Opportunity for Growth
- Date: Tuesday, 29 May 2012
- Venue: Arusha International Conference Center
- Time: 08:45 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
- Hon. Sinkinesh Ejigu, Minister of Mines & Energy, Ethiopia
- Mr. Paul Gondi, Chairman, Geothermal Development Company, Kenya
- Mr. Francois Ekam-Dick, Founder, Iroko Securities Ltd
- Prof. Frankly Lisk, Centre for Globalization & Regionalization, University of Warwick
- Dr. Elias T. Ayuk, Director, Institute of Natural Resources, United Nations University
- Moderator: Archbishop Njongo Ndungane, President and Founder, Africa Monitor
Extant literature refers to ‘greening the economy’ as a process whereby an economy goes green through investment in sound natural resource management, renewable energy, clean industries and sustainable agriculture. On operational grounds, UNEP (2011) suggests that a green economy is one whose growth of income and jobs is driven by investments that reduce carbon emissions and pollution, increase energy and materials efficiency, and enhance natural capital.