- Labour unrest and the persistently sluggish environment in Europe and the United States impacted on growth, but the situation should improve in 2014 as the global economy improves and a cheaper rand boosts exports.
- With almost 25% of the population (and 65% of young people) without work, unemployment is South Africa’s largest social challenge. The National Development Plan of 2012 stipulates crucial measures for the acceleration of structural and education reforms.
- South Africa is an important hub in the global mining value chain, a regional assembly hub in the global automotive value chain and a key player in the regional finance and retail value chains. It should capitalise on these links as engines of growth at home.
- 30/09/2014 - AfDB launches Green Growth Framework: “Entry points for action for transition to Green Growth in Africa”
- 21/08/2014 - African Water Facility promotes multiple use water services to increase access to water of rural and peri-urban communities in South Africa
- 25/06/2014 - AfDB to finance its first renewable energy independent power producer project in South Africa
- 07/05/2014 - AfDB President Donald Kaberuka supports “Visa free travel in Africa”
- 08/04/2014 - NEPAD Commends AfDB for Capacity Building Project to Accelerate the Delivery of PIDA
|Area:||1,221,000 sq km|
|Total Population 2013:||52.8 Million|
|Urban Population 2013:||62.88%|
|Female Population 2013:||51.46%|
|GDP:||US$ 335.4 Billion|
|GNI Per Capita 2013:||US$ 7,610|
|Crude Birth Rate (per 1000):||20.85%|
|Human Development Index (rank / 187):||121|
|Human Development Index (scale 0 to 1):||0.629|
|Cumulative Approvals (1967-2013):||UA 3.8 Billion|