AfDB at 5th EITI Global Conference
The African Development Bank is participating in the 5th Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) Global Conference in Paris from 2 – 3 March 2011. Leaders from governments, companies and civil society organizations will share views on how EITI has created a platform for dialogue, built trust, improved governance and enhanced the business environment in EITI countries. Together hundreds of EITI stakeholders will address future challenges and EITI’s future prospects.
The conference will feature numerous plenary and executive sessions, workshops and special events such as the EITI National Exhibition and the EITI Chairman’s awards. AfDB President, Donald Kaberuka will make the closing remarks at this conference. Many high-level personalities will also attend the EITI Meeting.
AfDB Group currently supports EITI by: mainstreaming it in operations through public sector Budget Support Programs, Institutional Support Projects and Private Sector Operations; engaging with governments through policy dialogue for better management of natural resource revenue and accountability; promoting sensitization and communication campaigns around EITI and; increasing EITI secretariats capacity across the continent.
During the conference, the Bank will reaffirm its commitment to EITI, and to the process of promoting the principles of good governance and transparency in Extractive Industries.
Confirmed Speakers include:
- HE Francois Bozize, President of Central Africa Republic
- Paul Collier, Professor University of Oxford
- HE Abdou Diouf, Secretary General, International Organisation of the La Francophone
- Mo Ibrahim, Chair and Founder, Mo Ibrahim Foundation
- HE Jakaya Kikwete, President of Tanzania
- HE Ernest Bai Koroma, President of Sierra Leone
- Huguette Labelle, Chair of the Board, Transparency International
- Anne Lauvergeon, Chief Executive Officer, AREVA
- HE Nouri al-Maliki, Prime Minister Iraq
- Christophe de Margerie, Chief Executive Officer, TOTAL
- HE Rosa Otunbayeva, President of the Kyrgyz Republic
- HE Jose Ramos-Horta, President of Tomir Leste
- Simon Taylor, Founding Director of Global Witness
- Peter Voser, Chief Executive Officer, Royal Dutch Shell
- HE Ernesto Zedillo, Chair National Resource Charte
- Programme (448 kB)
- Brief of the Bank’s Activities in Support of the EITI (107 kB)