AfDB at Sixteenth Climate Change Conference in Cancun (COP 16)
African Ministers attending the Cancun COP 16 Conference called again for the early establishment of an Africa Green Fund (AGF). This echoed an earlier call by African leaders in Copenhagen in December 2009 for a funding mechanism that sets aside resources for Africa, provides enhanced direct access, and equitable and transparent allocation of resources to be managed by the African Development Bank.
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) was established in 1992 at the Rio Summit with the aim of addressing the issue of global warming and its consequences. The Conference of Parties (COP) is the highest decision-making authority of the UNFCCC and its sessions take place once a year to specify rules for UNFCCC implementation.
The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group’s participation at these intergovernmental negotiation processes of the UNFCCC is entirely within its strategic focus as it relates to the Bank’s goal of promoting climate change risk management and adaptation in Africa. Like all the other Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and United Nations (UN) organizations, the AfDB only has “observer status” at this event. This means it cannot take part in negotiations and can only exert its influence through support to strengthen the capacity of its Regional Member Country governments and their negotiators. However, the Bank is always invited to deliver a statement at the High Level Ministerial Segment that can only be delivered by the Bank’s president.
The Bank’s participation in the conference is aimed at increasing its visibility within the global climate change community, particularly regarding its efforts and experience in promoting climate-compatible development in Africa and in managing climate-related funds. The AfDB will also build on its existing partnerships and networks to implement climate change programs within Africa. The bank's participation at this event is carbon neutral.
Specific activities include:
- Exhibition on AfDB Activities on Climate Change
Monday, November 29–Friday, December 10, Moon Palace Hotel
- Joint Multilateral Development Bank (MDB) Technical Side Event
Monday, December 6, from 1:20 p.m. to 2:40 p.m., Cancun Messe Complex
- Climate Investment Funds (CIFs) High Level Side Event
Wednesday, December 8, Time (tbc), Cancun Messe Complex
- African Development Bank (AfDB) Side Event on the Africa Green Fund
Thursday, December 9, 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Room Jaguar, Cancun Messe Complex
- High Level Statement by Bank Group President
Thursday, December 10, 10:00 am, Moon Palace Hotel
- COP15-Climate Change Conference: An Opportunity for Africa
- The AfDB and African Water Facility Participate in CLIMATE 2010/KLIMA 2010
- AfDB Launches African Carbon Support Program
- AfDB at Cancun Climate Change Conference
- AfDB Training Workshop on Carbon Market in Niamey Ahead of Cancun Climate Change Conference
- AfDB Addresses Africa Group at COP 16 on the status of Proposed Africa Green Fund
- AfDB and Partners Discuss Expansion of Clean Development Mechanism in Africa
- AfDB to hold key discussions on proposed Africa Green Fund
- AfDB Collaborates With MDBs on Climate Finance Innovation
- African Leaders call for the Africa Green Fund
- AfDB President Underscores Importance of Africa Green Fund at Cancun Climate Conference