Policies & Procedures
Procurement under AfDB financed Projects is governed by its Procurement Policy, as articulated in two principal policy documents. These were thoroughly revised recently and approved by the Boards of Directors of the Bank Group in May 2008. These are applicable for all procurement activity commenced after November 2008.
- Rules and Procedures for Procurement of Goods and Works (2008, revised July 2012)
- Rules and Procedures for the Use of Consultants (2008, revised July 2012)
For procurement started before November 2008, the applicable documents are:
- Rules and Procedures for Procurement of Goods and Works (1999)
- Rules of Procedure for the Use of Consultants (1999)
The revised documents are very similar to the policy documents being used by the other Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), particularly the World Bank and are a step towards greater harmonization between the MDBs. This will ensure ease of application at the project level as the procurement staff of the projects will not have to familiarize themselves to different sets of policy documents depending on whether the funding is from the World Bank or the African Development Bank.
The revision to the documents bring significantly increased flexibility and ease in procurement with reduced bidding periods (in most cases), online advertisement and greater disclosure requirements resulting into increased transparency.
- 26/04/2013 - AfDB Facilitates Energy Diversification and Access to Clean Energy with the Approval of a €115 Million Loan to Turkana Wind Power Project in Kenya
- 18/04/2013 - AfDB provides USD 38 million for skills development and job creation in Rwanda
- 17/04/2013 - AfDB reinforces regional integration support with USD 232.5 million Tanzania-Kenya road financing
- 14/03/2013 - AfDB Road Improvement Project to Benefit 800,000 People, Create 12,000 Jobs in Uganda
- 14/03/2013 - AfDB Approves US $73 Million for Irrigation and Road Projects in Malawi