The loan takes effect once certain conditions agreed to be precedent to first disbursement are met. This is also known as loan effectiveness. In addition to "other conditions" which may be fulfilled later, the following are some of the standard conditions said to be precedent to first disbursements: a) designate authorized signatories for the loan resources; b) present a legal opinion; c) submit the investment schedule; d) present a list of goods and services to be procured; e) open and maintain a special project account; f) establish a project implementation unit; g) any other condition agreed during negotiation as necessary to precede first disbursement.
Generally, these conditions are limited to the legal requirements as mentioned above, as well as cross-effectiveness of co-financing, and execution of subsidiary loan agreements. The requirements and deadlines for loan effectiveness are stipulated in the loan agreement.
ADB's Legal Counsel and Project Coordinating Officer review if the conditions are met, after which the loan is formally declared effective. Normally, loan documents allow 90 days for the loan agreement to become effective.
Did you know?
At the end of 2015, the Bank had made USD 112 billion of loans and grants since 1967, through some 4370 operations. In 2015, it disbursed some USD 8.8 billion in 240 operations.
- 05/03/2015 - Global Environment Facility (GEF) supports climate resilience in Uganda
- 18/12/2014 - AfDB helps strengthen the resilience of socio-ecological systems in Lake Chad Basin
- 18/12/2014 - AfDB donates US $10 million to reform economic governance in Burundi
- 18/12/2014 - AfDB makes US $250-million loan to state owned company Transnet in South Africa
- 18/12/2014 - AfDB provides US $108 million to repair the Tshikapa-Mbuji Mayi road and rural infrastructure in DRC