The Netherlands joined the African Development Fund (ADF) in 1973 and the African Development Bank (AfDB) in 1983. It supported the 2010 General Capital Increase VI and ADF-XII replenishment of the African Development Bank Group. For ADF-XII, the Netherlands contributed 225.8 million euros, the same amount as its ADF-XI contribution. The Netherlands’ burden share represents 4.91 per cent of ADF-XII.
The Netherlands has since 1994 provided bilateral supports to the AfDB’s operations through financial contributions, as well as the secondment of experts. The areas of focus have been poverty reduction, water and sanitation, private sector, infrastructure and regional integration. AfDB and the Development Bank of The Netherlands are partners under the African Financing Partnership (AFP).
The Netherlands has played a key role in the establishment of the following initiatives:
- Poverty Reduction Strategy Papers formulation support (PRSPs) - (1.4 million euros, 2001-2009)
- Bilateral Water Sector Program (BWPP) - (US $5 million, 2002-2010)
- Investment in Alternative Energy Program - (US $5.3 million, 2002-2010)
- The Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Initiative (RWSSI) - (25 million euros since 2006, ongoing)
- Infrastructure Development and Private Sector and Regional integration activities (IPSRI) - (2.1 million euros, 2007-2010)
- Making Finance Work for Africa Secretariat (MFW4A) - (0.1 million euros since 2008, ongoing)
Mr. Dominic O’Neill
Executive Director, The Netherlands
Tel: (225) 2026 20 69
Eric Hilberink Alternate Executive Director, The Netherlands