Portugal joined the African Development Fund (ADF) in 1982 and the African Development Bank (AfDB) in 1983. The country supported the 2010 General Capital Increase VI and ADF XII replenishment of the African Development Bank Group. In 2012, Portuguese companies were awarded 0.43 per cent of the overall number of Bank contracts, which represents 0.09 per cent of the total amount of contracts.
Portugal’s development cooperation sets out to integrate multilateral action to promote development and the achievements of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG), security and human rights. Relations with Africa are one of the essential pillars of Portuguese development strategy.
Portugal/AfDB Cooperation was strengthened in 1985 and 2008 by two Technical Cooperation Agreements, respectively to establish a 100 per cent tied (3.60 million euros) Technical Cooperation Fund and a 100 per cent untied 2 million euro Trust Fund.
The AfDB mainly collaborates with the Ministry of Finance.
- In December 2008, a new Technical Cooperation Fund was established for 2 million euros between Portugal and AfDB. The untied resources focus on the following sectors: private sector development, infrastructure, renewable energy and energy efficiency, good governance and capacity building, agriculture, water and promotion of the Portuguese language in the Bank’s operations.
- Portugal has provided bilateral support to the AfDB’s institutional capacity building, including targeted training programs and translation of main documents such as the AfDB’s Annual Reports into Portuguese.
- Portugal and the Bank also collaborated in a special internship program, whereby 14 Portuguese young professionals were seconded to the Bank between 2004 and April 2010.
- Portugal contributes to the Debt relief for the poorest countries under the Enhanced Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) and Multilateral Debt Relief (MDRI) initiatives.
Mr. Christoph Kohlmeyer
Executive Director, Portugal
Tel: (216) 71 10 2018
Please select a country
- 10/06/2011 - Top African Corporate Talent Say Continent is Open for Business
- 10/06/2011 - AfDB and New Faces, New Voices urge African Women to become more active players
- 10/06/2011 - AfDB Launches First Annual Development Effectiveness Review 2011
- 10/06/2011 - Zimbabwe and AfDB Sign US$30 million Agreement to Improve Water Supply and Sanitation
- 10/06/2011 - Growth Boosted by Innovation Gaining Momentum in Africa