Accounts Asssitant – Bank Reconciliations
- Position title: Accounts Asssitant – Bank Reconciliations
- Grade: GS7
- Position N°: 50000706 - 50000712
- Reference: ADB/17/266
- Publication date: 13/06/2017
- Closing date: 28/06/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Financial Control Department is responsible for all controllership functions of the African Development Bank Group and has the primary responsibility for analyzing, recording, and reporting the financial consequences of all decisions and transactions of the African Development Bank Group. The activities of the Financial Control Department include transactions processing and control, analyses and timely reporting to the Board, management, borrowers and other stakeholders and compliance monitoring activities. It also provides decision support, including assistance in the development of performance measurements and participates actively in the development, planning, and implementation of operational and financial strategies and related information systems. In addition, the Department is responsible for the formulation of all accounting policies, as well as the preparation of all policies relating to the administration of the Loans and grants of the Bank Group.
The Department is also responsible for managing the relationship with the external auditors of the Bank Group
Under the overall Supervision of the Division Manager and the day to day supervision of Functional Supervisor the Account Assistant will the following:
- The system of internal control around banks and General Ledger reconciliation is adequate, effective and functioning properly
- Financial reports of the banking activities of the Bank Group are timely and accurate
- Reconciliation and clearance of all suspense and receivable/payable accounts in the general ledger are carried out properly and in a timely manner.
Duties and responsibilities
The Account Assistant will carry out the following functions;
- Investigate and follow up on all outstanding items on bank reconciliation statements with responsible persons and Organization Units.
- Analytically identify old and irrecoverable amounts on bank reconciliation and advise how best to resolve them.
- Ensure accurate and timely reconciliation of banking transactions for all the bank accounts maintained by the Bank Group and Trust Funds.
- Provide monthly summary of bank reconciliations and control weaknesses for review by Management
- Verify the reliability and accuracy of bank balances in the general ledger and trial balance
- In liaison with Treasury department ensure that adequate internal controls are maintained in the opening and closing of new and old bank accounts.
- In liaison with other data entry personnel, improve the internal control environment related to Bank accounts and transactions.
Analysis and Reconciliation of General Ledger Accounts
- Investigate and ensure reconciliation and clearance of bank related transit suspense / accounts
- Ensure reconciliation of all inter-institution accounts for the Bank Group and bilateral and/or multilateral funds.
- Liaise with other sections in Financial Control department for the clearance of items on inter-institutions accounts.
Preparation of Analytics and Reports
- Prepare analytical reports showing trends on degradation of the bank account outstanding items
- Carry out other duties as may be allocated by the Supervisor or Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Audit, Business Administration, or Banking.
2. Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience.
3. Private sector experience will be an added advantage.
4. Demonstrated competencies for accuracy, attention to detail, integrity and update knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards. Team player and excellent interpersonal skills.
5. Communication, innovation and creativity, problem-solving and client orientation competencies.
6. Ability to work independently as well as part of a multicultural team.
7. Very good computer skills including proficiency competence in the use of standard software applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, SAP).
8. Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.