WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery ‘responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. The Vice Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s :‘Light Up and Power Africa’, ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
The mission of the Agriculture, Human & Social Development Division is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Member Countries. It does so by contributing to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge and focusing on project/programme origination and delivery for approval of operations defined under the High 5 priorities.
The Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department provides support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in 18 priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones. Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability, and effective nutrition. The Department leads the effort to transform agricultural systems for greater competitiveness, inclusivity and sustainability, and for enhanced job creation and poverty reduction.
The Agronomist will provide technical support to the Bank Group’s operational activities in the field of agriculture and rural development, technical studies and institutional mechanisms for agricultural projects/ programs proposed for Bank financing, as well as the feasibility study of their current and future impact and benefits.
Under the guidance of the Division Manager RDGW.2, in liaison with the Mali Country Manager, the Agronomist is responsible for execution of the following activities with the associated deliveries:
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. At least a Diploma in agronomic engineering or a Master’s in rural Development (agriculture, livestock, fisheries) or equivalent, an Agricultural Engineer (or related discipline), with a specialization in agricultural economics or agro economics.
2. A diploma or qualification in project management is an added advantage.
3. A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the technical analysis of projects of preference in the field of project preparation, evaluation, management and / or supervision.
4. Good analytical skills in the Bank's rural development projects.
5. Knowledge of Mali's development policies and strategies in general and in the rural sector in particular.
6. Proven ability to implement country or sector level agriculture analytical and capacity building initiatives;
7. An understanding of cross-cutting issues beyond agriculture and social development (e.g. procurement, governance, donors’ practices) at sector/country level;
8. Good networking skills and judgment which are required in the management of professional relationship with external partners working in Africa.
9. Client Orientation to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, to ensure the clients receive the best possible service from the Bank.
10. Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
11. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT. (INCUMBENTS OF THE POSITION WILL BE CONSIDERED AS LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL STATUS).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your
application, please send an email with a precise description of the
issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.