- Position title: Assistant to chief economist/vice-president for economic gouvernance and knowledge management
- Grade: PL-3
- Position N°: 50078311
- Reference: ADB/17/126
- Publication date: 18/05/2017
- Closing date: 09/06/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice-President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’. The Complex is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Office of the Chief Economist and Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management has the main responsibility of providing advice and analysis to the President, Senior Management and Board of Directors on key development issues facing Africa and the Bank in the following areas: research programs, economic issues, financial and non-financial products, knowledge dissemination and communication. The Office coordinates the Bank’s efforts to achieving this strategic mandate of being a knowledge institution.
The Assistant to Vice President will assist the Chief Economist and Vice President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management in effectively delivering on mandate of the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Complex by providing advice and support for decision-making related to the Complex work.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management, the Assistant to Vice President will:
a) Chief Economist and Vice President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management’s activities coordination
- Prepare semi-annual work program of the Chief Economist and Vice President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Complex by collecting and reviewing the Chief Economist and Vice President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management Departments inputs and monitors its implementation.
- Write or oversee the preparation of speeches, papers, presentation or reports requested by the Vice President to make sure that they are consistent with the Bank’s thinking.
- Review incoming correspondence with a view to directing them to the appropriate Chief Economist and Vice President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management department;
- Provide comments on papers, notes or Board documents, as requested by the Vice President.
- Attend meetings chaired by the Vice President and prepare minutes of the meeting, and follow up on the decision taken.
- Coordinate interdepartmental matters/issues.
- Participate in the Vice President’s meetings with visiting delegations and prepare minutes when necessary.
- Manage the Vice President’s front office to ensure automation and effective administrative support.
b) Monitoring and follow-up
- Support the Chief Economist in priority areas of research which are in line with the operational priorities of the Bank.
- Assist in the launch of major research initiatives that are in response to new development policy challenges and constraints facing the Bank, e.g. the role of the Bank in the global aid architecture.
- Assist the Chief Economist and Vice President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management in any effort in the direction of facilitating the strong linkage and synergy, between the knowledge-departments in the Bank.
- Participate in overseeing the knowledge dissemination work of the Bank.
- Provide the necessary support, in the close cooperation with concerned departments, the broader work of knowledge generation and dissemination in the Bank by:
- Providing input in any Bank-wide committee tasked with coming up with proposals on knowledge collection, synthesis, and dissemination for staff, clients, and partners;
- Participating in the facilitation of the establishment of thematic and sector-specific networks
- Supporting and promoting open team-based learning through greater interaction with other Bank Complexes
- Undertake research on development policy issues with emphasis on the priority areas of the Bank, as indicated by the Chief Economist/Vice President.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Governance or International development.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience in comparable organizations.
- Good understanding of the Institution, and willingness to learn and to listen.
- Strong knowledge of African economic and development issues; capacity for conceptual and strategic analysis, good command of recent cutting edge economic issues.
- Strong versatility, and capacity to deal with diverse issues and problems related to Economic Governance and Knowledge Management.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently under pressure and tight deadlines, and to perform various tasks simultaneously.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, and ability to deliver results on time.
- Strong negotiation skills, and capacity to interact with various stakeholders at all levels, and especially Operational Directors and Managers, as well as Directors and Managers in the Chief Economist and Vice-President complex.
- Strong ability to analyse data, synthetize issues and ideas, and to prepare powerful messages to stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Bank software, namely Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, Power-Point etc.), SAP.
Information on the position:
The African Development bank group has retained GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD to assist with this appointment. to apply, please click on “apply” as displayed on the application page or access through the following link:
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.