WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions. Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Vice-President is responsible for planning, directing, managing and coordinating the day-to-day functioning of the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex. The Assistant provides required support to the Vice-President and immediate supervisor (Manager, Business Development, Budget and Results) in performing their daily duties in the domain indicated above. The assistant’s job covers advice on operational aspects as well as on corporate matters. Emphasis is put on coordination and monitoring with the sectors departments as well as with the Vice President and external stakeholders.
The purpose of the job is to assist and advise the Vice-President to operationalize the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex’s mandate by providing critical technical expertise on the Bank’s strategies, policies and operations, business development, and other responsibilities supporting the mandate. The job holder also assists with the coordination of complex activities and supports quality assurance on all key documents and presentations prepared for the Vice-President.
Under the overall supervision of the Vice-President, the Assistant performs the following:
1. Assist the Vice-President in day-to-day agenda management and support the Manager, Business Development, Budget and Results in monitoring the implementation of the Complex work programs;
2. Prepare and attend to Vice-President's instructions for management coordination meetings and follow up on the decisions taken;
3. Assist the Vice-President Front office to ensure timely delivery of reports and information as required.
1. Assist in coordinating work with other Sector Front Offices to prepare regular cross complex updates highlighting any issues requiring the attention of the Vice-Presidents;
2. Work with other colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole,
while sharing knowledge and the workload;
Strategies and policies
1. Assist the Vice-President on operational policies, strategies and corporate issues to be discussed at the Operations committee, Senior management committee and those to be approved by board;
2. Prepare presentations on strategies requested by the Vice-President and speeches for missions relating to resource mobilization and partnership activities;
3. Provide assistance on papers, notes and Board documents, as requested by the Vice-President;
1. Review incoming correspondences as instructed by the Vice-President;
2. Prepare presentations, memoranda and correspondence with stakeholders as and when required by the Vice-President;
3. Review content of presentations, language of correspondences, memoranda and reports submitted for the Vice President's signature/clearance for onward transmission to the President's Office;
1. Assist in the review, editing and amendment of all relevant submissions from the team to meet acceptable standards.
Compilation of Reports
1. Provide all relevant reports with accurate and validated data and information as required by the Vice-President or the Manager, Business Development, Budget and Results to support decision making and relevant submissions to committees.
1. Develop strong professional working relationships with colleagues and contribute to the creation of a positive team environment.
2. Assist to develop a network of stakeholders and key role players that could provide inputs or enhance the output of the Vice-President. Assist with communication, preparation of correspondences, memoranda and research topics for the Complex business agenda.
Championing the Complex / Regional mandate and purpose
1. Provide a direct and indirect operational support that contributes to the Complex’s output and mandate of the Vice President.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in in Business Administration, Economics, Public Sector Management or related discipline.
2. Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience gained in a multilateral development finance institution or similarly structured organisation.
3. Experience in project management, strategy and policy formulation, and evaluation.
4. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
5. Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to present and win support for ideas.
6. Excellent listening skills with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations, creativity, and change.
7. Ability to listen and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
8. Client and results-orientation.
9. Strong communication skills.
10. Ability to work with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing knowledge and workload, developing strong working relationships with colleagues and contribute to the creation of a positive team environment.
11. High level of coordination skills.
12. Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and fast-paced organization.
13. Ability to solve problems, identify solutions and manage multiple competing priorities to the benefit of both internal and external clients.
14. Knowledge of strategies, policies, procedures and practices of multilateral development institutions.
15. Strong analytical skills to generate relevant communication (both verbally and in writing) that features accuracy and attention to detail.
16. Proven communication skills required for regular contacts with high level partners inside and outside the bank.
17. Knowledge of the socio-economic, industrial development and business environment in Africa.
18. Knowledge and ability for deploying methodologies for building successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients (internal and external) for the effective delivery of results.
19. Ability to deploy a strategic mind-set and the capacity to steer the front office’s agenda while empowering staff during a phase of institutional reforms and transformation towards greater quality and impact of the Bank’s operations.
20. Strong negotiating skills.
21. Knowledge in new development financing issues.
22. Knowledge of Bank procedures, policies and guidelines.
23. Ability to conduct thorough research using credible resources and acknowledge in any presentation or document.
24. Ability to provide sharp, concise factual documents focused on the audience that includes an analysis of situation/problem with recommendations for future actions and conclusions.
25. Searches for and produces innovative and creative approaches to activities to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
26. Applies business knowledge to solve problems to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization. Ability to see the big picture.
27. Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices, systems and technology. Shares knowledge and expertise with others.
28. Ensures that the client (internal or external) is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
29. Ensures full use of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization to deliver the required results.
30. Communicates in a clear, professional and concise way (orally and in writing). Presents information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of the audience as well as the ability to translate a complex message into a simple understandable message for staff and appropriate audiences.
31. Strong ability to administer a process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity.
32. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
33. Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint)
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.