- Position title: Audit Assistant
- Grade: GS7
- Position N°: 50001345
- Reference: ADB/17/192
- Publication date: 10/05/2017
- Closing date: 28/05/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Office of the Auditor General provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the Bank’s operations. It also assists the Bank to accomplish its strategic objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The Office of the Auditor General is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling a broad, comprehensive program of auditing and consulting/advisory services both internally and externally including, without limitation, all projects and programs of the Bank group.
The overall responsibility of Audit Assistant will be to assist in providing independent and objective assurance and consulting and advisory services in compliance with established professional internal auditing standards, by Performing audits covering Bank Group activities and operations, comprising financial, operational, with a low level of complexity and proposing to the Chief/ Principal Internal Auditor any area of improvement that can be shared with audit clients. The incumbent is expected to deliver less complex assignments, with limited supervision from the Chief/Principal auditor.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Auditor General, the Audit Assistant will:
a) Assist auditors, in conducting large and complex audit assignments of activities relating to the financial, operational and administrative functions of the Bank. This would involve inter alia:
1. Carry out audit tests and provide assistance in obtaining, analyzing and appraising data as a basis for an informed, objective opinion on the activity being audited. Review and analyze documentation, hold working sessions, gather appropriate evidence about the function/activity under review.
2. Contribute to the preparation of audit reports by drafting audit findings and recommendations for the supervising auditor review and discuss them with auditees.
3. Maintain "Audit Working Paper Files".
4. Analyze auditees’ action plans to audit findings and recommendations and prepare draft final audit reports for review and approval before issuance to the President and the Boards.
b) For small and less complex audits: Under limited technical supervision of Chief/Principal Auditors, plan and conduct audits relating to the financial, operational and administrative activities such as Grants and Special Funds administered by the Bank which involve:
1. Reviewing general documentation, policies, directives and guidelines of the activity to be audited; preparing flow chart and internal control questionnaires, preparing audit programmes and the audit planning memorandum.
2. Obtaining latest financial statements and ensuring that they are drawn up: in accordance with generally accepted accounting standards, on a basis consistent with previous financial statements.
3. Reviewing Bank Reconciliation Statements for prompt preparation, long outstanding items and approval.
4. Checking compliance with regulations, agreements, policies, directives and guidelines.
5. Preparing a draft Audit Report for review of the supervisor.
c) General and administrative matters assigned by audit supervisor, such as preparing for the Auditor General/Manager draft replies to communications.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a Finance, Accounting, and Auditing, Risk Management or other related disciplines.
2. Have a minimum of five (5) years of experience in a relevant area, with a minimum of two years practical internal/external audit experience.
3. Good planning skills with excellent levels of initiative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
4. Strong organizational skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail.
5. Knowledge of administrative, budgeting and financial processes
6. Experience within a multicultural and/or international environment is an added advantage.
7. Client and results oriented individual holding “a can do attitude”
8. Ability to be flexible, open minded with integrity
9. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
10. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP;
11. Knowledge of computer-assisted audit tools, particularly ACL and PENTANA, is an asset.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED DEVEX TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT (THE INCUMBENT WILL BE CONSIDERED AS LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL STATUS)
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.