WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead Senior Management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
Located within the Senior Vice-Presidency Complex, the Department for Delivery, Performance Management and Results supports Senior Management in meeting African Development Bank’s development mandate, improving operational and corporate performance, accelerating the pace of delivery and increasing the Bank’s impact on development. As part of its mandate, it also works to strengthen the Bank’s external and internal accountability for results and promotes a performance-oriented culture across the organisation.
The Department’s activities will be undertaken by the following Divisions:
1. Corporate Performance and Accountability,
2. Delivery Support.
The Chief Delivery and Results Officer is to (i) support Senior Management in communicating a clear understanding of the Bank’s development objectives and targets, (ii) align Bank’s performance measures and (iii) lead on deep dive and special assignments from Senior Management.
The Chief Delivery and Results Officer tracks the progress accomplished for established work processes in operations and internal processes and compares them to agree upon targets in order to ensure coherence and alignment. The job entails analysis of operations and internal processes based on studies and research devised by both Management and the incumbent. Within the Department, the incumbent advises the Director on strategic planning and resource management and shares knowledge to the Divisions resulting in sustained effective delivery focus that ensures the Bank achieves the High 5s.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director, Delivery, Performance Management and Results, the Chief Delivery and Results Officer will:
1. Bank objectives and targets: Ensure that Bank objectives and targets remains sufficiently focused, clear, and shared by Senior Management, and to push for clarification or redefinition of objectives where necessary.
2. Relationship management: Maintain effective working relationships with staff of Sector Departments and Regional hubs, to ensure Bank-wide ownership/internalization and of Bank’s objectives and targets. Work closely with other departments in charge of strategy and policy.
3. Aligning performance measures: Establish an effective system that aligns the different levels of the Bank’s Results Measurement Framework (development and corporate priorities). Review the effectiveness of Bank’s units in delivering their mandates by assessing the alignment of these units’ strategic plans with their activities and their means of measuring their performance.
4. Deep dive and special assignments: Lead deep dive and special assessments for sectors, programmes, regions and countries by providing analysis on operations and processes which are used for reporting by the Divisions within the Department and Senior Management.
5. Periodic reviews of the current state of delivery: Conduct periodic delivery capacity reviews and propose delivery efforts to improve capacity of Bank’s units.
6. Advisory support to the Director: Provide guidance on strategic planning and resource management within the Department including staffing, budget and other key requirements. Coordination of information flow from the Division Managers to the Director and outwards in the Bank.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Management, Finance, Economics or other relevant fields.
2. Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in performance management and reporting with solid understanding of both corporate and operational performance issues.
3. It would be desirable to have some experience in Delivery or Results reporting roles within Multilateral Development Banks or Government delivery unit.
4. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
7. Client orientation.
8. Team working and relations.
9. Innovation and creativity.
10. Operational effectiveness.
11. Knowledge and practice of operational policies, procedures, and performance measurement processes and tools of multilateral development banks, or other development agencies.
12. Familiarity with and practical experience of results-based management.
13. Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills to build consensus between competing interests and priorities, high degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients.
14. Ability to coordinate complex initiatives in a multicultural and complex environment with demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries with various teams and utilise talent and expertise of team members in a productive way.
15. Demonstrated ability to think strategically and synthesize complex issues (translated into effective oral and written communications).
16. Ability to research and extract current best practice on Delivery and Results based approaches derived from the Bank and external organizations and disseminate and apply them to the Bank.
17. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
18. Competence in the use of Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
19. It would be desirable to have experience in SAP and/or Access.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.