WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialisation, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centred, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all Bank operations. The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services, is responsible for leading the effort to digitalise and transform the Bank into a knowledge-driven workforce, promote human resource policies that enhance talent, lead a performance-driven culture, and establishing the Bank’s position as the employer of choice. The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services Complex will also drive a new corporate culture that rewards creativity and innovation, develops talent, attracts to and retains a world-class workforce in the Bank.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
Within the Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services Complex, the General Services and Procurement Department formulates and implements the Bank's corporate services and institutional procurement strategies.
The role of the Operations and Maintenance Division of the General Services Department comprises: management of the Bank's technical infrastructure; management of all Bank fixed assets and real estate; and technical support for activities as part of the Bank's decentralisation policy. In this regard, the Operations and Maintenance Division of the General Services Department makes a visible contribution to the support provided by the Corporate Services Complex to other Bank complexes and entities. Thus, this Division plays a significant role in implementing the Bank's new development and service delivery model.
The Chief Electro-mechanical Engineer is responsible for:
1. Planning and supervising projects and investment programmes for electrical works, air-conditioning, ventilation and heating (HVAC) systems throughout successive phases in the Bank's buildings at Headquarters, in the Regional Offices and other field offices.
2. Designing and supervising the implementation of preventive maintenance plans for the various electrical equipment and systems, and air conditioning in the Bank's buildings and other premises at Headquarters.
3. Preparing the investment and operating budgets of all electrical and climate control engineering works; and maintenance services and control.
Under the supervision of the CHGS.1 Division Manager, the incumbent will be head the Technical Equipment and Installations Section of the Division. Principally, he/she will:
1. Supervise the execution of new and renovation works, and coordinate the management of maintenance and operations contracts on technical installations and equipment.
2. Ensure the review and control of all ongoing electrical, energy and climate engineering projects at the design and execution stage, as well as monitor and examine the relevant environmental and sustainable development requirements.
3. Oversee the preparation of technical bidding documents and participate in setting up works and services contracts on electrical and energy systems and installations.
4. Propose and initiate energy- and cost-savings studies on technical functionality, evaluate energy savings and possible cost reductions, and make recommendations thereon.
5. Supervise the implementation of investment and operating budgets for equipment and technical installations.
6. Participate in implementing the Bank's decentralisation policy in collaboration with stakeholders in other relevant departments.
7. Supervise regulatory inspection visits to technical facilities and ensure the implementation of the relevant recommendations of the control offices.
8. Keep abreast of technological developments in the multi-technical field of building construction and renewable energies, and take them into account during the implementation of capital investment programmes.
9. In consultation with the team under his/her supervision, review client requests and ensure that all incidents related to electrical and energy installations are resolved.
10. As Section Head, organise, lead and control the team’s activities, and set work programme priorities.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in electrical engineering; a specialisation in technical management of works or in electrical control would be an added advantage.
2. Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience in industrial or tertiary electromechanical works or installations maintenance, of which the last five (5) years spent in an organisation or institution similar to the Bank.
3. Proven experience in technical management of electrical and energy works.
4. In-depth knowledge and experience in planning, organising, managing and coordinating complex works projects and programmes, and service delivery.
5. Sound knowledge of regulatory norms and provisions in the field of power generation and distribution.
6. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
7. Possess skills in budget management and procurement of works, goods and services.
8. Proven experience in delivering quality operational products and services (economic / technical analysis, expert opinion, evaluation, etc.) to support Bank activities.
9. Sound knowledge of the Bank's operational policies, rules, procedures and practices or of those of a comparable institution.
10. Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
11. Proficiency in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point); knowledge of SAP would be an added advantage.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.