- Position title: Chief Renewable Energy Investment Specialist
- Grade: PL3
- Position N°: 50067404
- Reference: ADB/19/008
- Publication date: 01/03/2019
- Closing date: 31/03/2019
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
The African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier multi-lateral development finance institution fostering economic growth and social progress in Africa. The AfDB’s primary goal is to reduce poverty and improve living standards by mobilising resources in and outside Africa, and providing financial and technical assistance for development projects and programs in Africa.
The Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) is housed in PERN1. SEFA is a multi-donor trust fund financed by the Governments of Denmark, the UK, the USA, Italy and Norway. SEFA provides technical assistance and innovative and catalytic financing for energy access by unlocking private sector investments in renewable energy (RE) and energy efficiency (EE) projects and programs.
Under the supervision of the PERN Special Initiatives Manager and the Head of SEFA, the Incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Work closely with the SEFA project development team to lead the final structuring and transaction advisory of the maturing projects/programs in the view to bringing them to bankability stage.
- Lead transaction advisory activities on all commercial and financial aspects of projects for SEFA portfolio projects/programs post-SEFA Project Preparation support, with the objectives to transforming opportunities into investment.
- Lead the origination and business development activities – beyond SEFA Project Development portfolio – leading to the generation of a pipeline of sustainable energy investments to which AfDB’s range of finance instruments, including non-sovereign lending, could be applied as well as other co-financiers.
- Identify potential co-financiers and negotiate with them for every transaction. Develop longer term financing arrangements with co-financiers where possible.
- Structure the due diligence process and tools building on existing AfDB’s and lead independent research on the investment climate, project sponsors, management, economic, financial, marketing, technical, and legal aspects of the projects.
- Undertake assessments of the risks of projects and advise on appropriate mitigating measures, structuring/restructuring of projects to minimize market, credit and operational risk.
- Lead the preparation of project/program appraisal reports for presentation to the relevant decision committees up to approval.
- Conduct any other relevant tasks aimed at the fulfilment of SEFA objectives, as may be assigned by the PERN Special Initiatives Manager (or other Manager as may be responsible for SEFA at AfDB) and the SEFA Head.
- Develop a specific annual work programme contributing to the SEFA objectives
- Quarterly progress updates to be included in SEFA’s quarterly reports
- Annual briefs as an input to the annual reports.
- Project appraisal reports and investment packages as requested by any internal approval committee.
- Periodic guidance notes on market best practices.
- Modeling of innovative financing for scale-up programs, best practices, and blended finance structuring of projects and programs.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Finance, and/or MBA or similar, relevant for carrying out the required tasks;;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in the development, finance and management of (renewable and efficient) energy projects Prior experience with Development Finance Institutions (DFIs) or international commercial banks; prior exposure to appraisal, procurement and disbursement processes is desirable;
- Experience in identifying, structuring, and financial closure of infrastructure projects and structuring private-sector and public-private partnerships (PPP) in emerging markets or in a developing country context with experience and knowledge in infrastructure project finance.;
- Familiarity with the energy project development cycle and understanding of lenders’ requirements for “bankability”, including experience in dealing with renewable energy independent power producers (IPPs);
- Experience in dealing with private sector actors (developers, investors and financial institutions), including in capacity-building and advisory functions;
- Knowledge of the African power sector, including institutional, policy and regulatory issues. At least 5 years of energy sector’s experience in developing countries; experience of SSA markets desirable;
- Integrity and ability to work in a dynamic team as well as to supervise other specialists;
- Working knowledge in English and French; working knowledge of an additional language relevant for conducting duties in Sub-Sahel African countries will be an asset;
- Gender and Diversity competence
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Working knowledge of an additional language relevant for conducting duties in Sub-Sahel African countries will be an asset;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS POSTED BY THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (AFDB) ON BEHALF OF THE SUSTAINABLE ENERGY FUND FOR AFRICA (SEFA) WHICH IS THE EMPLOYER FOR THIS POSITION. ENGAGEMENT AS STAFF OF SEFA DOES NOT OFFER ANY EXPECTATION FOR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT AS STAFF IN THE AfDB.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.