- Position title: Chief risk sharing facility investment officer
- Grade: PL3
- Position N°: 50091787
- Reference: ADB/17/159
- Publication date: 10/05/2017
- Closing date: 31/05/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice-President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department works closely with the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department and the Regional Directorates to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025.
The core mandate of Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department is to develop the strategy of the Bank related to agricultural and rural finance and rural development, execute non-sovereign operations for the transformation of value chains, represent the Bank with external stakeholders, provide sector expertise to the regions by gathering experts who can be consulted by operations and closing the financing gap for private sector-led development of agricultural value chains. The Department is to mobilize and deploy the required expertise; and, provide support the design and implementation of agricultural finance and rural development operations for key commodity value chains. The Department is structured into two Divisions: (i) Agriculture and Rural Finance Division; and (ii) Rural Infrastructure Development Division.
The Agriculture and Rural Finance Division will be responsible for working with private sector to transform value chains, identifying opportunities for long-term investments to address food security and boost economic growth in Africa. The division has the following deliverables:
- Non-Sovereign Operations targeting Private Sector Companies, Investment and Impact Funds,
- High-Quality and Innovative Debt and Equity Investments for Private and financial sector development for Value Chain Development and Transformation
- Practical Implementation Arrangements with Key Implementing Partners, specifically private sector companies and equity funds
- Knowledge Management of Agriculture / Rural Finance /Best Practices
- Enabling Environment and Alliances with Key Stakeholders
- Monitoring of Performance and Recommendations for Corrective Actions.
The purpose of the job of the Chief Risk Sharing Facility Investment Officer of the Agriculture and Rural Finance Division is focused on development and upgrading of 18 key priority value chains articulated in the Feed Africa Strategy in targeted Agro Ecological Zones:
1. Identify risk sharing facilities opportunities within projects;
2. Lead strategic partnerships with countries to establish risk sharing facilities that meet the requirements of financial institutions and commercial banks to lend along the 18 key priority agricultural value chains;
3. Create and manage a strong portfolio of risk sharing facilities agricultural clients, investors along key value chains and achieve sustainable development impact;
4. Lead support and expertise to regional directorates for risk sharing facilities operations with solutions to reach smallholder farmers, productive enterprises (particularly women and youth);
5. Monitor and report on the implementation of the risk sharing facilities instruments and their contribution to Feed Africa and action plan.
The Chief Risk Sharing Facility Investment Officer under the oversight of the manager Agriculture and Rural Finance Division performs:
The technical oversight:
- Identify opportunities to support the Regional Directorates and country teams for risk sharing facilities, value chain arrangements (agricultural finance and innovative financing) ,
- Execute strategic opportunities in risk sharing facilities financing through private sector companies and investment / impact and investment funds / equity funds (agricultural finance and innovative financing);
- Build and maintain a strong pipeline of risk sharing facilities and liaise extensively with potential clients on the African continent and beyond;
- Support existing risk sharing facilities investments including strategic and value-add activities with portfolio company management and co-investors;
- Partners with other International Finance Institutions, investors, including venture capital, private equity firms and strategic investors;
- Agree upon blended finance arrangements for investments and technical assistance for implementation upon consultation with concerned Regional /hubs, country offices;
- Enhance project implementation quality, timeliness and integrity through developing and implementing controls that minimize slippages;
- Develop and implementing performance monitoring and evaluation systems and reporting activities (including Key Performance Institutions) to enable transparent assessment of risk sharing facilities outcomes and impacts, both for internal and external circulation;
- Lead the conceptualization and guide the implementation of risk sharing facilities for Agropoles and Agro-industrialization and other value chain development projects, as a means to crowd in additional funding for these projects.
- Guide a team of professional level and support staff in providing efficient and high quality services that support the business. Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole;
- Assess the training needs of staff in the Regional Directorates and Country Offices, monitor and evaluate their performance, and recommend personnel actions to the Division Manager;
- Be a collaborative member of the Divisional Team, contribute and share expertise and input and foster a collegial environment.
- Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions;
- Manage the efficient use of the financial and human resources. On the technical front the work requires analytical and strategic skills, as well as personal knowledge and practical experience in the main areas of Bank intervention.
- Ensure high-quality output within available resources, by making the best use of its human, financial and technological assets, and by monitoring and enforcing efficiency targets;
- Supervise complex project identification, preparation and appraisal for Bank Group financing and verify quality of the projects;
- Ensure effective communication between the Management and staff of the Bank, the authorities of member countries, officials from other organizations;
- Monitor best practice in the field and, as appropriate, liaise with counterparts in other organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in in Agriculture, Agriculture Economics, Finance, , or closely related disciplines with strong notions in finance and investment;
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years relevant professional experience in the area of finance in an international multilateral institution;
- Sound Experience with International Development Financing Institutions in developing countries including a satisfactory knowledge of their operational policies and procedures;
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, issue management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learned and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable projects and programs.
- Proven leadership in matters relating to rural development such as policy dialogue, technical review of reports and consultation with other financiers, among others.
- Knowledge of Africa and the rural development needs, opportunities, development challenges and possible solutions;
- Knowledge in the execution of debt and equity investments in the assigned sector projects and program;
- Ability to develop risk sharing facilities and other de-risking products for agriculture;
- Networking ability to build successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results. Prudence and skill in identification of such relationships and partners based on meeting the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Deep understanding of value chains implementation.
- Ability to identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors to drive development impact at a country and regional level.
- Ability to provide enabling environment for staff members performance; to communicate clearly and concisely, in giving instructions;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED DEVEX TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.