WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank's Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank's mission.
In this regard, the Department accords high priority to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, by providing the highest quality of translation, interpretation and terminological services to the Institution. It also seeks to promote multilingualism to enhance communication among staff with the Bank’s clients and partners.
Under the general supervision of the Translation Division Manager, the Chief Translator-reviser (English Language) will translate from French to English complex and confidential documents of the organization; revise documents translated internally or externally by independent translators; contribute to the design and implementation of quality control mechanisms for translations produced by the Division.
1) Translate, from French to English, highly sensitive and technical documents from various sources, including Management and the Boards, using Translation Memory, Terminology Databases, and a whole range of CAT tools.
2) Revise translations of complex and sensitive documents covering the full range of the Bank’s work, namely: reports of an economic and financial nature, statements from Senior Management, audit reports, planning and programming documents, project appraisal reports, legal documents, etc.;
3) Aim for and ensure a high standard of accuracy, faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original document;
4) Work with client departments to develop terminology for new concepts in the Bank's work, as well as ensure compliance with established terminology and consistency among translators;
5) Contribute to the development and sharing of terminology within the Division (terminology consultation meetings with all members of the Division):
6) Contribute to the performance evaluation of external translators;
7) Initiate training programmes in the use of computer-assisted translation tools;
8) Supervise and coach less experienced translators, including external consultants;
9) Lead in-house and freelance translators to build capacity and ensure compliance with professional standards;
10) Coordinate translation activities, by serving as focal point for complexes with a view to advising them and monitoring their requests.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1) At least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in translation;
2) At least 7 (seven) years of professional experience in a similar organization, with increasing levels of responsibility;
3) Ability to provide high quality translation and revision for Bank Management and decision-making bodies;
4) Ability to contribute to strategic thinking with a view to improving translation and other business processes of the Language Services Department;
5) Ability to work under pressure, with calm and serenity, setting priorities and managing multiple tasks simultaneously;
6) Capacity to analyze complex translation requests and scenarios and find appropriate solutions;
7) Capacity to lead, supervise and motivate teams of translators in a complex multicultural environment;
8) Ability to communicate efficiently (written and oral) in English or French;
Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and demonstrate knowledge of other software packages applicable to translation (workflow, scheduling, translation memory, etc.).
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.