- Position title: Coordinator Joint Secretariat Support Office (JSSO)
- Grade: PL2
- Position N°: 50076435
- Reference: ADB/17/333
- Publication date: 03/08/2017
- Closing date: 23/08/2017
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions. Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Joint Secretariat Support Office Coordinator is part of the Regional Integration team within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Vice Presidency Complex (RDVP). The position is located within the Economic Commissions for Africa Secretariat.
The JSSO Coordinator is part of the Regional Integration team and reports to the VP: RDVP and Steering Committee. The position is located within the Economic Commissions for Africa (ECA) Secretariat and will work closely with the Directors of Regional Integration at AUC, UNECA & AFDB.
The incumbent provides strategic and operational leadership and oversee the day-to-day running of the Joint Secretariat Support Office while facilitating the Joint Secretariat Support Office strategic interface with the African Union Commission, Economic Commissions for Africa and African Development Bank, and leverage synergies among the three institutions. The incumbent initiates, manages and evaluates activities and supervises staff at the Secretariat in line with the Memorandum of Understanding between African Union Commission/Economic Commissions for Africa/African Development Bank on the establishment and operation of a Joint Secretariat. The incumbent leads the Joint Secretariat Support Office's contributions in the generation and application of new knowledge relevant to the Bank’s Strategy, High 5’s and Africa’s development agenda. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for the evaluation of the performance of the Joint Secretariat Support Office staff.
Under the Supervision of the VP: RDVP & Steering Committee (AUC, UNECA, AFDB), the Coordinator Joint Secretariat Support Office (JSSO) will:
- Work closely with departments responsible for regional integration in the three institutions to develop work programs, ensure follow-up and monitor the implementation of activities of the institutions in the priority areas and other joint initiatives.
- Developing deeper partnership between the three institutions (AUC, AfDB, and ECA) and key partners including Regional Economic Communities (RECs);
- Developing and implementing a results-based management system and ensure alignment with work plans, planning and management cycle. Ensure programmes developed are aligned with the strategy and policies of the three JSSO institutions;
- Elaborate clear JSSO work programs in line with the priority areas as recommended by the Steering Committee;
- Build strong working relationships with the relevant departments and divisions in the three institutions (AUC, ECA and AfDB);
- Facilitate consensus among the three institutions regarding joint activities to implement, including sharing of specific roles and responsibilities in different priority areas;
- Identify areas where there is need for consolidation, collaboration or complementarities among the three institutions;
- Facilitate and coordinate implementation of resolutions, directives and guidelines of the Steering Committee;
- Coordinate and manage cross-regional and cross-community of practice collaboration as well as build relations with external institutions;
- Prepare and submit comprehensive quarterly and yearly progress reports and work plans/financial updates/budgets of the secretariat;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Director: Regional Integration.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Economics, International Law, Social Sciences, Engineering, International Trade, Agriculture/Forestry, Business Administration, Public Administration and knowledge of development issues;
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience in an internationally recognized financial or development institution or public service; three (3) years of which should be at a managerial level with private sector experience being an added advantage.
- Experience in managing portfolio performance.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
- Ability toproduce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Possess the commitment to ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and distributed organization.
- Ability to ensure that the client (internal or external) is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions.
- Ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations, creativity, and change.
- Ability to build relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results that meet the needs and interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learned and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions.
- Has an acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through projects and programs in Africa.
- Can identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors to drive development impact at a country and regional level.
- Ability to define and effectively drive the portfolio management activities under uncertain and challenging circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to take prudent intervention risks that contribute to the delivery an appropriate results.
- Helps others understand how their personal objectives align with Joint Secretariat Support Office mandate as well as the three institutions.
- Creates motivational opportunities that recognize the diversity of staff and address the needs and goals of Joint Secretariat Support Office.
- Develops people to improve the capability of Joint Secretariat Support Office and the three institutions (African Union Commission, Economic Commissions for Africa and African Development Bank).
- People Management to ensure they are truly engaged and perform at optimal levels.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Practical knowledge of SAP systems will be an advantage.
NB: Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.