- Position title: Director, agriculture and agro industry
- Grade: EL5
- Position N°: 50092405
- Reference: ADB/17/382
- Publication date: 04/08/2017
- Closing date: 24/08/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the VP will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department provides support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in 15 priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones. Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability and effective nutrition. The Department leads the effort to transform African agricultural systems for greater competitiveness, inclusivity and sustainability, and for enhanced job creation and poverty reduction.
The Director of Agriculture and Agro Industry provides intellectual and strategic leadership to the Agricultural and Agro-Industry agenda of the African Development Bank Group, working across technical, geographic and institutional boundaries to support the delivery of development solutions for a diverse set of clients in the rural (and urban) space and in the public and private sectors. In collaboration with other departments in the Bank, He/she will also plan and supervise the administrative, financial and personnel services required for developing and mobilizing resources towards the implementation of the Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa.
Strategy Development and Business Planning
- Develop, implement and monitor the the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department’s business plans, KPIs, budgets and objectives; provide regular management reports that include insight, analysis, forecasting and comment on Department performance and results.
- Identify opportunities and champion initiatives that enable the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department to increase its impact or to deliver innovative and differentiated services, encouraging Department members to fully contribute.
- Coordinate with Regional General Directors and Country Managers the implementation of the Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025.
Operational Management and technical oversight
- Increase investment in agriculture research and technology dissemination by supporting the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) in creating a clearinghouse of proven agricultural transformation technologies that are tailored to the African context and are ready to be scaled beyond pilots (Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) and R&D).
- Increase public and private investments in agriculture value chain development, and promote an enabling environment by the public sector for private sector investment and involvement in agriculture (Enabling Policy Environment in Agriculture).
- Undertake economic and sector work that will guide and support both public and private sector investments in agriculture (agricultural policy).
- Provide technical guidance and funding toward concentrating resources such as input supply, transportation, storage, and marketing in order to reduce logistical constraints to production, add value, and strengthen value chain linkages between producers and processors within high-potential areas to reduce postharvest losses (Agro-Industry/Value addition);
- Provide advisory services to increase the quality of agricultural infrastructure projects throughout the continent (Agro-Industry)
- Accelerate the development of enabling hard infrastructure (energy, water, transport, logistics, ICT) projects within value chain development projects;
- Support the building of market centers with a focus on integrating the strategy’s priority value chains into market selection, planning, and support; build associate service infrastructure such as warehouses, cold storage units, and feeder roads, among others (agro industry and agribusiness);
- Coordinate the establishment of an Africa-wide policy matrix detailing the five groups of key policy changes required to enable the transformation sought by the Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA); key policy areas would be (i) land tenure, (ii) input subsidies, (iii) incentives for local production and processing, (iv) financial sector deepening, and (v) regional integration and trade (Enabling Policy Environment in Agriculture);
- Improve statistical systems across African countries by building capacity in national ministries as well as providing technical assistance (supporting RMCs ATA development and capacity building initiatives);
- Facilitate land tenure reform through the Africa Land Policy Center (ALPC);
- Establish initiatives and programs to increase women and youth employment and enhance skills in agribusiness and agripreneurship (Agribusiness and ENABLE Youth)/Inclusiveness);
- House and convene the ‘Agricultural Partnership for Transformation in Africa and the Support pan-African agriculture leadership initiatives (Coordination/ Leadership 4 Agriculture Platform);
- Support climate smart agriculture and effective environmental risk management through the implementation of the Bank’s environmental policies in the context of productivity-increasing practices and technology (CSA/TAAT); and
- Provide oversight to donor funded special projects (Congo Basin Forest Fund, Agricultural FastTrack Fund); and oversee the partnership with the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) on behalf of the Bank
- Support agriculture and agro-industrial development programs in the area of vocational / agricultural training and farmer extension activities, including institutional capacity building for farmer organizations such as cooperatives;
- Support in collaboration with the agro industry flagship coordinator, the development of off-grid rural energy investments for increased agricultural processing opportunities;
- Support natural resource management programs such as tree planning, improved cooking stoves, water retention schemes and anti-desertification actions;
- Collaborate for nutrition interventions and school feeding / food for work schemes using new WFP patient procurement modalities;
- Support providing long-term financing and a technical assistance facility to producers and retailers, and implement postharvest loss prevention programs for agricultural cooperatives and SMEs (with agro-industry clusters);
- Set objectives, formulate policies, establish priorities, define and monitor the key performance indicators of the department;
- Supervise budget preparation and follow its execution, and advise senior management on the budgetary and financial impacts of the department’s operations;
- Review all reports and papers prepared by the staff of the Department and give appropriate guidance
- Manage sector work (reviews, analyses, studies) to identify and assess the needs and priority pro-poor interventions in the sector and associated sub-sectors(agriculture, food security, water management, environment, rural development etc.); prepare sector policy briefs and notes; keep abreast of international developments and advancements in the sector; develop an inventory of best practices and success stories in the sector; develop and maintain sound knowledgebase and databank of key indicators for assessing and improving sector performance and its poverty alleviation and development impacts.
- Represent the Bank in external events such as consultation meetings, conferences and seminars related to the sector.
- Initiate and oversee reviews, analyses and studies to identify and assess the needs and priorities in the sector.
- Lead and actively pursue activities in agriculture and agribusiness and assist Regional Directorate in the development of sound project pipeline in the sector.
- Manage a team of professional level and support staff in providing efficient and high quality services that support the business. Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole;
- Manage the performance and resources of the Department through delegation of responsibility, setting stretch objectives and providing regular feedback on results at a Department and Division level, promptly addressing areas of underperformance
- Manage the efficient use of the financial and human resources of the Department, including the career development of staff.
- Be a collaborative member of the Management Team, contribute and share expertise and input and foster a collegial environment.
- Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions;
- Assess the training needs of staff in the Department, monitor and evaluate their performance, and recommend personnel actions to the Vice President;
- Lead People: Serve as a role model, leads by example, builds alignment and commitment. Is courageous in challenging others to move the Bank forward;
- Promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across teams and across organizational units;
- Maintain a high standard of professional integrity, treat individuals fairly and respectively and be sensitive to differences across culture, nationalities and gender.
- Ensure that the department produces a high-quality output within available resources, by making the best use of its human, financial and technological assets, and by monitoring and enforcing efficiency targets;
- Supervise the activities of project identification, preparation and appraisal for Bank Group financing and verify quality of the projects before submission to the Board; Department Director chairs all Senior Management (Loans Committee) meetings;
- Determine and review the appropriate organizational structure of the department, assigning staff and material resources based on priorities and workload, coordinating and evaluating the work of staff and providing guidance on work problems;
- Ensure effective communication between the Management and staff of the Bank, the authorities of member countries and officials from other organizations;
- Monitor best practice in the industry and, as appropriate, liaise with counterparts in other organizations.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Agricultural Economics, Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, or related disciplines, or closely related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant and progressive experience in an internationally recognized financial or development institution, 5 years of which should be at a managerial level; strong organizational and analytical ability; a conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand the competing requirements of operations and program activities handle multiple tasks simultaneously; and coordination of work programs and resources and lead teams
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of operational policies, rules, procedures and practices of the Bank or comparable institution;
- Knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries or other developing countries.
- Proven experience in strategic planning, in impact and scenario analysis report writing and review
- Strong capacity to analyse actions from the perspectives of stakeholders and translate strategic thinking into compelling plan of action;
- Experience in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the activities of similar departments and supervising managers and department staff, organizing teams, and providing managerial support.
- Experience in delivering high quality operational products and services (Technical analyses, research advice, sectoral studies and evaluation) in support of the Bank’s work.
- Recognized as result-oriented with ability to work in a fast and pressured multicultural environment
- Knowledge of emerging trends and themes and best practices in agriculture and agribusiness.
- Have a established reputation for integrity, good judgment, fairness and discretion in dealing with top management, staff and external parties;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competences in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
NB: Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.