WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL) delivers legal advice and services to the statutory organs of the Bank group: Boards of the Bank Group (the Bank), to Senior Management, to Directorate General Hubs and more generally to the whole Bank. PGCL’s also protects the interest of the Bank from legal liability and as necessary provide legal defense in cases filed against or brought by the Bank.
The objective of Division Manager - Administrative Affairs Division role is to lead all legal aspects of administrative/institutional issues and ensure the supervision, mentoring and coaching of staff under the incumbent supervision.
The job holder ensures the correct interpretation of, and compliance with the various Bank’s policies, rules, regulations and procedures applicable to staff (including Staff rules & regulations, applicable Presidential Directives and Administrative Instructions), corporate procurement, delegation of authority of the Bank,
Under the supervision and guidance of the General Counsel, the Division Manager - Administrative Affairs Division will:
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Holds at least a Master’s degree in Law, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; or A Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries.
2. Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience in similar jobs, preferably in a Multilateral Development Bank.
3. Combined specialization and expertise in the knowledge of the administrative structure, organization and texts of the Bank;
4. Seasoned knowledge in the current trend of developments and familiarity with international law, and related matters within the Bank and other international organizations;
5. Strong skills in preparation of complex legal documents including briefs and confidential legal opinions, leading the negotiation of host country agreements or complex technology contracts and, partnership agreements;
6. Capacity to supervise the negotiation of complex legal documents of all manners and form that balances the standards and norms of outside parties with the unique requirements of the Bank.
7. Capacity to lead the representation of the Bank before the Administrative Tribunal and other dispute resolution fora, as may be directed by the General Counsel.
8. Ability to apply legal knowledge to deliver full scope of strategic legal services in line with the Bank’s requirements in the legal domain.
9. Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help resolve their legal issues
10. Ability to take the lead in any legal discourse at Board meetings (formal and all Board committees) and drive change in line with the Bank’s requirements
11. Ability to take the lead in any legal discourse at certain internal technical committees and Senior Management committees as needed
Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
“THIS POSITION HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED. CANDIDATES WHO PREVIOUSLY APPLIED FOR THE POSITION SHOULD NOT REAPPLY”
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.