- Position title: Division Manager Agriculture Research, Production and Sustainability
- Grade: PL2
- Position N°: 50092410
- Reference: ADB/17/137
- Publication date: 18/05/2017
- Closing date: 07/06/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the VP will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department is to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in eighteen (18) priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
The role of the Agriculture Research, Production and Sustainability Division is amongst others, to:
- Coordinate the implementation of the Flagship - Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation
- Support wide-scale deployment of innovative farmer extension models including effective private sector led approaches to the provision of farmer extension services;
- Provide specialist advice and support to internal and external clients on a range of Fisheries, aquaculture, blue economy development issues including, knowledge generation and sharing, policy development advice, fish commodity value addition, , complex operations formulation, training and marine and inland water bodies ecosystems resilience building;
- Support increasing investment into livestock research and technology dissemination on the continent and support the scaling up of proven technologies and wide-scale deployment of innovative livestock producers extension models;
- Coordinate Climate Resilience actions to support climate adaptation and climate-smart agriculture practices including large-scale sustainable and climate-smart agriculture, agroforestry, ecotourism, and agri-tourism projects;
- Support Bank engagements in global and continental climate change events of interest to the Bank such as the Annual Conference on Climate Change and Development in Africa, The Conference of Parties on Climate Change, the Global Alliance for Climate Smart Agriculture.
The Manager for Agriculture Research, Production and Sustainability reports to the Director, agriculture & agro-industry department. He/She is responsible for providing leadership and supervising the staff and activities for implementation of the African Development Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy :
- To promote technologies for African agriculture transformation, and sustainable development in Africa;
- To support blue economy and livestock development actions on the continent;
- To develop and implement programs in support of climate adaptation and climate-smart agriculture practices, for funding under climate financing.
The Manager for Agriculture Research, Production and Sustainability, under the oversight of the Director Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department, manages staff of the Department and plans, organizes, supervises and directs the work to ensure efficient and effective Bank Group assistance. Specifically, the Manager:
Specific accountabilities of the function
1. Provide specialist, pragmatic, effective and timely advice to Division staff, on analytical issues relevant to the work program, the preparation and implementation of the work program. This could include overseeing case studies, representation of the Complex and the Bank in major gatherings and/or any other assignment pertinent to the job;
2. Design and deliver solutions that increase the ability of the individuals, Division staff and across the Bank to effectively deliver their respective programs, in line with their key performance indicators;
3. Provide assistance and coaching for staff members requiring capacity strengthening and training interventions to ensure they improve engagement and them to model organisational behaviours and improve technical competence;
4. Work with other Divisions across the Complex to lead complex and innovative project cycle management activities;
5. Establish effective partnerships with internal, external stakeholders, including other development partners, using a range of communication and facilitation skills, in view of efficiency in the work program delivery process;
6. Review policies, practices and procedures as necessary to identify and scope areas for improvement. Lead and implement change in a way that engages clients and improves service delivery;
7. Work within the Complex to support the implementation of organizational change process;
8. Ensure delivery and promotion of the strategic aims of the Bank’s Feed Africa Agenda;
9. Promote the creation of a fully conducive and inclusive work environment.
Detailed activities in relation with the accountabilities of the function
- Sector Analysis and Programming
- Contribute to the preparation the Departmental annual work program and budgets according to the priorities set forth by the Country and Regional Divisions;
- Prepare Annual Division Report detailing achievements, constraints and outlook;
- Contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goal by providing input for the streamlining of Departmental and Bank interventions in the sector;
- Participate in the preparation of Results Based Country Strategy Papers and multi-sector portfolio review in Regional Members Countries to ensure its consistency with sector work and other cross-cutting profile review towards selection of key pillars for Bank intervention;
- Participate in the review of policies, strategies, procedure and guidelines for Bank’s intervention in the agricultural and agro-industry sectors and related activities;
- Contribute to the development of appropriate strategies for intervening in the agricultural and rural development sector in line with Country Strategy Papers and Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper for the various Regional Members Countries;
- Serve as a base for sector knowledge building and dissemination by initiating sector studies and analysis;
- Assist in the creation of networks and partnerships relevant to agriculture and agro-industry.
- Co-financing and Aid-Coordination
- Represent the Bank in donor meetings aimed at reviewing borrowers’ priorities for sector investment programs and agree on various sectorial issues, policies and strategies, as well as co-financing arrangements;
- Propose projects and programs to be co-financed with other donors;
- Act as co-operating institutions for other donor agencies to follow up on the implementation of their projects;
- Participate in the Bank’s representation at regional and international meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops dealing with issues concerning the sectors’ development and related areas;
- Develop partnerships with Breton Wood institutions, United Nations agencies, bilateral agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations and relevant regional and sub-regional bodies for the realisation of the Department’s strategic plan.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent degree in Agriculture Science and/or Natural Resources Management or related discipline.
2. At least eight (8) years of relevant and progressive experience, five (5) of which should be in multilateral development institutions in Agriculture and / or natural resources management as a professional and three (3) years of which should be at a managerial level.
3. Proven experience in Agriculture Development and Natural Resources Management in Africa applied to deliver the entire scope of the Bank’s Feed Africa strategy.
4. Experience in investment in agriculture research and technology dissemination.
5. Knowledge of operational policies, rules, procedures and practices of the Bank or comparable institution;
6. Ability to provide enabling environment for staff members performance; delegate authorities and to assign work to staff members.
7. Experience in delivering high quality operational products and services (economic analyses, research advice, sectoral studies and evaluation) in support of the Bank’s work.
8. Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
9. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.