- Position title: Division Manager, civil society and community engagement
- Grade: PL2
- Position N°: 50092414
- Reference: ADB/17/061
- Publication date: 12/05/2017
- Closing date: 01/06/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The role of the Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is under the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. Furthermore, “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa” will be operationalized with focus on Gender, Women and Civil Society.
The Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is designed to improve coherence and coordination across complexes on gender and Civil Society Organization issues. The department will ensure strategic priorities are reflected in resources allocation, enhance monitoring and management of performance, and strengthen the focus on results.
As part of the Gender, Women and Civil Society Directorate, the Manager, Civil Society and Community Engagement division will provide leadership on mainstreaming civil society in operations.
The Division Manager Civil Society and Community Engagement reports to the Director Gender, Women and Civil Society Department. He/She is responsible for leading and coordination of the civil society engagement work in the Bank and provide strategic guidance on participation work in Bank including building relationships with development partners & other alliances at global level to advance inclusiveness in the Bank work. The main work objectives are:
1. Ensuring quality at entry of projects by Assessing, Monitoring & reporting;
2. Act as strategist and support the lead spokesperson for Civil Society Organization engagement inclusion in the High 5s;
3. Provide deep sector expertise on transactions and in the High 5s relevant policies and strategies;
4. Provide technical knowledge for strategic implementation of the High5s from a citizen engagement lens;
5. Develop innovative approaches to the implementation of the High5s.
6. Recognize the substantial potential and staff awareness for increased constructive engagement of civil society in pursuing African Development Bank’s poverty reduction objectives.
7. Ensuring civil society involvement in strategy development and in various lending instruments where the Bank enhances the perception of being transparent and accountable to the citizenry.
8. Coordinate the Bank-wide partnership with civil society organization, anchor the Secretariat of the African Development Bank - Civil Society Organization Committee, chaired by the Senior Vice President with membership across sectors and regions to ensure full integration of Civil Society Organization engagement all projects.
The Division Manager Civil Society and Community Engagement, under the oversight of the Director Gender, Women and Civil Society Department, manages staff of the Division and plans, organizes, supervises and directs the work to ensure efficient and effective assistance.
Specifically, the duties of the Civil Society and Community Engagement Division Manager are:
1. Manage and supervise the Division:
• Plan, organize and coordinate the activities of the Division;
• Set the overall objectives, develop work programs and oversee their execution and ensure that deadlines are met and that the Division’s outputs reach the highest technical quality standards;
• Establish a feedback mechanism and workflow management and assignments monitoring system in compliance with the Bank’s policies, guidelines and procedures.
2. Lead policy development and monitoring:
• Lead policy/strategy development/revision to enhance mainstreaming, gender, civil society participation and Sustainable Development Goals;
• Support the mainstreaming of gender, civil society participation and Sustainable Development Goals into sector policies and strategies;
• Coordinate and lead the development and revision of action plans for mainstreaming Civil Society Organization engagement in delivering Hi 5 s agenda;
• Establish and coordinate an institutional mechanism for monitoring policy implementation;
• Regularly inform bank staff on status of African countries in achieving Sustainable Development Goals and coordinate annual reporting on gender disaggregated results.
3. Enhance the mainstreaming of civil society participation and Sustainable Development Goals into Bank operations:
• Actively involved in the Bank’s review process -country and regional team meetings;
• Lead the development and application of mainstreaming tools for Country Strategy Papers, project design & supervision;
• Provide operational support for project design, monitoring and evaluation;
• Ensure strengthened Bank institutional capacity through training and other means;
• Enhance Civil Society Organization participation and Sustainable Development Goals responsiveness of the Bank’s quality assurance and results frameworks;
• Ensure the mainstreaming of gender, Civil Society Organization participation and Sustainable Development Goals into the operations manual and guidelines;
• Strengthen the effectiveness of the Banks committee on Sustainable Development Goals;
• Enhance the strategic focus of the Bank’s Civil Society Organization committee;
• Coordinate and lead the Civil Society Organization Working Group and the Civil Society Organization Help Desk.
4. Strengthen Knowledge Development and Networking:
• Lead in conducting studies, Economic and Sector Work and the development of other knowledge products relevant to operations, in collaboration with relevant departments;
• Lead the organization of events (major conferences and seminars) in key sector-related thematic areas to inform operations, and share knowledge and good practices;
• Strengthen partnerships with key multi and bi-lateral organizations, United Nations agencies, Civil Society Organization and others and enhance collaboration and networking;
• Represent the bank in key regional and international events relevant to the work of the division, in collaboration with gender experts in operations.
5. Coordinate the Department's relationship with other Multilateral Development Banks, International Organizations, bilateral agencies, research organizations etc.
• Monitor and analyze developments, and share and learn best practices on Civil Society Organization engagement in Africa and the world;
• Lead the organization of events in key sector-related thematic areas to inform operations, share knowledge and good practices;
• Oversee the organization of the Civil Society Forum at the Annual Meetings;
• Lead the campaign for Bank and Civil Society collaboration in achieving Sustainable Development Goals in policies and strategies formulation that ensures inclusive growth;
• Act as the liaison between civil society and Bank on matters related to policy adherence including environmental and social safeguards compliance.
Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Sociology, and Anthropology, Economics or closely related disciplines;
2. A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience; of which three (3) years should be at the managerial level in the formulation and implementation of policies, strategies, programs and projects;
3. Demonstrated skills to combine strategic thinking with a good understanding on how to translate ideas into products in a participatory manner, navigating the shortest institutional way possible;
4. Proven leadership and team building skills; results oriented and ability to work in a multicultural environment;
5. Good listener with demonstrated ability to make ideas work and make effective and timely decisions
6. Experience of coordinating or leading corporate assignments across institutional boundaries;
7. Ability to network and build partnerships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
8. Strong knowledge and understanding of regional social issues;
9. Knowledge of operational policies, rules, procedures and practices of the Bank or comparable institution: major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries or other developing countries;
10. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
11. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED DEVEX TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.