WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s) have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The Complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Bank’s Private Sector Development Department is to promote private sector in Regional Member Countries, ensuring that it plays a central role in laying the foundations in the development role of the Bank, in line with the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5 initiatives.
As part of the Private Sector Development Department, the Strategy and Transaction Support Division is responsible for preparing strategies, policies, guidelines, and analytical tools relevant to the private sector development; it also ensures global client management and undertakes specialized assignments for the Regions and the Sectors. It also provides ad hoc advice on transaction bankability and structuring of transactions.
The Division Manager is responsible for managing several teams (key among which structuring group, financial modelling and standards, global client management systems). The incumbent provides leadership and supervises the implementation of the new Central private sector department’s mandate of the Bank Group. The job holder’s responsibilities cover matters related to support to the various private sector departments (Energy, Agribusiness, Transport, Water and Sanitization, Industry and Trade Development, Financial Sector in business development, origination and portfolio management) s as well as specific transaction support assignments such as technical assistance and structuring guidance. The Division Manager advises Management and participates in technical discussions related to private sector development issues.
The purpose of the job is to:
1. Lead the development of private sector activities of the Bank by exploring, innovating. implementing and bringing opportunities to engage private sector in the various Hi5’s of the Bank
2. Coordinate the development and implementation of strategies, policies and guidelines for Bank's non-sovereign investment and technical assistance activities in all streams.
3. Develop country/regional private sector profiles and business targets in key niches with growth opportunities for both the country and the Bank’s business portfolio.
4. Develop and implement outreach strategies for private sector including a business intelligence platform.
5. Coordinate the private sector development activities with private sector managers in the regions and sectors.
6. Represent the Bank on private sector issues at technical, policy and strategic planning including meetings with engagement strategy for key clients existing or targeted and all business development initiatives and activities of the Department.
7. Coordinate and oversee the work of Modeling Team and ensure smooth interaction with concerned staff from other Departments including Sectors.
Under the supervision of the Director, the Division Manager will perform the following duties:
1. Lead robust, targeted, systematic and strategic business development efforts to sustainably grow the Bank’s business and impact in the Regional Member Countries.
2. Lead Team Modeling work.
3. Develop and maintain relationships with potential clients and identify business opportunities taking into account Bank’s strategy, priorities and products.
4. Supervise the elaboration of country/region private sector profiles to inform the Bank intervention Programs and business development activities.
5. Identify areas where the Bank can catalyze market development through innovation based on a thorough understanding of local markets and best practices.
6. Provide advice to the Director on issues relating to private sector development, initiatives to be undertaken and enhancement deemed necessary.
7. Supervise the implementation of the flagships programs 1, 5 and 6 of the Industrialize Africa Strategy.
8. Foster strong relationships to identify opportunities for knowledge transfer among the Regional Hubs to the benefit of the clients.
9. Facilitate synergies and collaboration between the Bank’s non-sovereign and sovereign operations.
10. Represent and provide visibility for the Bank’s private sector development agenda in the target markets including through Organizing/participating in high profile events.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Business, Finance or Economics.
2. Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience, out of which 3 years should be at a managerial level of extensive and in-depth experience in strategic, private sector business development, financial and econometric analysis.
3. Have managed during the past three years multi-disciplinary teams of minimum of 10 staffs.
4. Comprehensive state-of-the-art understanding of investment and portfolio management techniques and familiarity with relevant strategies, policies, procedures and practices of development finance institutions; Knowledge of MDB’s private sector business will be an added advantage.
5. Demonstrated leadership skills, strong team work and communications skills in a highly diverse environment.
6. Excellent people management skills and openness to feedback, new ideas and ability to guide staff to solve problems.
7. Proven ability to effectively plan, direct, organize and administer diverse activities to ensure effective delivery of work program.
8. Proven track record in building and maintaining very strong and successful partnerships.
9. Ability to plan and manage staff to achieve high quality results and encourage innovation in an open team-based environment, inspiring trust and influencing and resolving differences across organizational boundaries.
10. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
11. Ability to continuously expand understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems/technology and share knowledge and expertise with others.
12. Develop and direct the implementation of objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the Division. Ensure compliance with Bank policies and regulations.
13. Lead, manage and develop an integrated and diverse team, ensuring that it is well-motivated, innovative, high-performing, and well-trained.
14. Applies the principles of change management and proactively serves as a role model for transformation and capacity for acceptance of change.
15. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
16. Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.