WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice-Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy and first High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”. The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The level of responsibility associated with the position as Executive Assistant requires the job holder to work independently, and with a high degree of diplomacy and sensitivity for confidential issues. The nature of the work might require occasional overtime work and availability after normal working hours.
The main objectives of the position are to provide a wide range of assistance to the Vice-President, including workflow management, office administration and analytical work.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Vice-President - Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth , the Executive Assistant will perform the following:
1. Devise and maintain efficient office systems.
2. Track and follow-up on documents, draft letters and memoranda, monitor incoming emails, deal with faxes and general correspondence and briefs.
3. Ensure secure filing of sensitive and confidential information.
1. Organize and attend to multiple meetings, appointments, luncheons and events to ensure that responsible management is well prepared.
2. Arrange travel, visa and accommodation for the Vice-President; arrange logistics for visiting delegations.
3. Handle internal and general public enquiries; screen telephone calls from within the bank and from external collaborators, and handle them as appropriate; welcome and look after visitors; organize and maintain electronic diaries and to make and follow-up on appointments.
4. Manage the recording of opinions, notes and confidential documents.
5. Create a strong filing system in the Vice-President Front Office for prompt retrieval of documents.
6. Create a follow up system in the Vice-President Front Office to track all in/out documents.
7. Contribute to the collection of data on the Vice-President’s Front office KPIs.
1. Produce documents, simple letters/memoranda/emails, briefing papers, reports, spreadsheets and presentations.
2. Take notes at meetings, write letters, and prepare minutes as requested.
3. Assist where applicable with the follow up of the Complex’s activities by using the appropriate software.
Perform any other duties reasonably requested by the Vice-President or the Advisor to the Vice-President.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Communication, Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline, preferably supplemented with courses in secretarial training/administration/office management.
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years working experience of progressively relevant and practical experience, in an executive office preferably in an international organization or in large private sector firm.
3. Demonstrated team building and inter-personal relationship.
4. Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
5. Good planning skills will be highly desirable.
6. Strong customer service skills, good organizational skills, ability to multitask, attention to details and ability to work with a diverse workforce.
7. Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
8. Competent in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.