WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President ; Independent Development Evaluation Department ; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit ; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board ; Administrative Tribunal ; Office of the Auditor General ; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department ; Communication and External Relations Department ; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Banks' Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank. The Secretary General and the General Secretariat is comprised of:
The specific mandate of the Adviser shall be to provide intellectual and program support to the work of PSEG, particularly with respect to strategic policy, programming and project documents. He/she shall also advise and assist the Secretary General (SG) in all matters pertaining to the:
Under the supervision and guidance of the Secretary General, the Lead Adviser to The Secretary General will:
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Development Studies Political Economy, Project Management and Evaluation, Law and Economics, or such other very closely related fields;
2. Have a minimum of eight (8) years relevant professional experience in a Multilateral Development Bank, sound analytical skills including in operations and proven report-writing skills
3. Excellent understanding of multilateral development institutions group policies, strategies and operational issues.
4. Very good interpersonal relations, facilitation skills and ability to lead and motivate a team; proven ability to manage and deliver many products and projects within the required time.
5. Ability to work under pressure, prioritize work programs, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
6. Ability to gain the confidence of senior management in delivering an efficient and effective service within agreed time and cost constraints;
7. Ability to work effectively with other technical and management professionals of diverse occupational and cultural backgrounds in a cooperative team environment.
8. Excellent negotiating skills and demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; high level of integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
9. Above-average writing skills and oral expression abilities.
11. Problem Solving
12. Client Orientation
13. Team work and excellent human relations
14. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
15. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point);
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.