WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SNVP provides effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
Located within the SNVP Complex, the Environmental and Social Safeguards and Compliance Department is responsible for mainstreaming environmental and social development considerations into Bank financed operations in the public and private sectors through the implementation of the Integrated Safeguard System (ISS). The Department will provide cross-sector E&S operational support to all operations in the regions in conducting the necessary E&S due diligence and implementation support across all stages of the project development cycle. The Department will also design and/or provide capacity-building support to ensure that all of the Bank’s projects and programmes are not only compliant with the ISS but also enhance opportunities for the sustainability of Environment and Social development outcomes.
The Lead Social Safeguards Officer will work under the general supervision and guidance of the Safeguards and Compliance Director and is primarily responsible for leading the Department’s efforts to provide policy and strategic guidance, capacity building, development of knowledge products and dissemination, coordination of safeguards and sustainability partnership and networks as well as other non-operational activities.
1. Lead the development and revision of policies, strategies, guidelines, formats/manuals, tools and procedures, in particular the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS) in order to provide Bank staff, Regional offices and RMC clients with the ability to quickly assess and recommend measures to address environmental safeguards issues in projects and programmes.
2. Identify and prioritize knowledge needs of the department; Lead and provide oversight to the development of knowledge products in the Safeguards and Sustainability Series and the collection of and dissemination of lessons learned.
3. Establish and implement quality assurance process for knowledge products and their management.
4. Develop and implement capacity-building program for the Bank, RMCs, private stakeholders, sponsors and consultants, executing agencies, through e-learning modules, workshops, etc.
5. Contribute to knowledge sharing and harmonization efforts through conferences, external knowledge management publications and others.
6. Provide expert leadership for the development and implementation of best practices and innovative approaches related to sustainability and risk management.
7. Coordinate strategic partnerships and networks with other entities such as the UN Agencies, Bilateral and Multilateral Agencies, including MDBs.
8. Provide strategic guidance and close liaison with the team managing the Integrated Safeguard System.
9. Lead social inputs required to provide appropriate and timely management responses to complaints lodged with the Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM)/Independent Review Mechanism (IRM) and ensure subsequent follow up on a regular basis.
10. Oversee the preparation of management responses to audit, independent evaluation, compliance and review mechanism, etc.
11. Perform other duties commissioned by the Director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.