- Position title: Manager, Agribusiness Development Division
- Grade: PL2
- Position N°: 50092409
- Reference: ADB/17/136
- Publication date: 18/05/2017
- Closing date: 07/06/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department is to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in eighteen (18) priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
The Agribusiness Division supports the:
1. Development of an inputs finance and agro-dealer network and supply systems, Flagship Agro-industrial cluster on post-harvest loss prevention facility;
2. Development of Agribusiness Environment indices;
3. Scale-up and replicate innovative models to organize and aggregate farmers by supporting effective approaches to organizing farmers through farmer groups, cooperatives or other innovative ways;
4. The providing of capital for domestic input production, extend concessional financing to lower the costs of input purchases for farmers, and help to broker off-take agreements with large agricultural buyers in order to improve the value proposition of improved inputs for farmers with limited market access;
5. Establishment of agribusiness platforms at continental and commodity value chain levels at the respective regional members countries to crowd in private sector engagement and investment;
The Manager of Agribusiness Development reports to the Director of the Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department. He/She is responsible for providing leadership and supervising the staff and activities for the development and implementation of the Bank’s program, under the agenda for promoting technologies for African agriculture transformation, and sustainable development in Africa,
The main work objectives are:
1. To increase investment into agriculture agribusiness and technology agro-dealer network;
2. To expand the number of agro investors on the continent;
3. To provide long term financing and a technical assistance facility to producers and retailers of proven, culturally appropriate post-harvest loss solutions;
4. To develop and implement programs in support of value chain and input supply agribusiness financing;
5. To publish an annual Agribusiness Environment indices;
6. To strengthen capacity of private-sector actors such as agricultural chambers of commerce, agricultural trade associations, young farmer groups etc.
The Manager of Agribusiness Development, under the oversight of the Director of Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department, manages staff of the Department and plans, organizes, supervises and directs the work to ensure efficient and effective Bank Group assistance. Specifically, the Manager :
Specific accountabilities of the function
1. Provides specialist, pragmatic, effective and timely advice to Division staff, on analytical issues relevant to the preparation and implementation of the work program. This could include overseeing case studies, representation of the Complex and the Bank in major gatherings;
2. Design and deliver solutions that increase the ability of the division staff and across the Bank to effectively deliver their respective objectives, in line with their key performance indicators,
3. Provide assistance and coaching for staff members requiring capacity strengthening to ensure they improve engagement and them to model organisational behaviours and improve technical competence.
4. Work with other divisions across the vice-presidency, the Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development to lead complex and innovative project cycle management activities.
5. Establish effective partnerships with internal, external stakeholders, including other development partners, using a range of communication and facilitation skills, in view of efficiency in the work program delivery process.
6. Review policies, practices and procedures as necessary to identify and scope areas for improvement.
7. Lead and implement change in a way that engages clients and improves service delivery.
8. Work within the complex to support the implementation of organizational change process.
9. Ensure delivery and promotion of the strategic aims of the Bank’s Feed Africa agenda.
10. Promote the creation of a fully conducive and inclusive work environment.
Detailed activities in relation with the accountabilities of the function
1. Contribute to the preparation of departmental annual work program and budgets according to the priorities set forth by the countries and regional divisions;
2. Prepare annual division report detailing achievements, constraints and outlook;
3. Contribute to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by providing input for the streamlining of Departmental and Bank interventions in the sector;
4. Participate in complex project cycle activities, the preparation of Results documents Based on Country Strategy Papers and multi-sector portfolio review in regional members countries to ensure its consistency with sector work and other cross-cutting profile review towards selection of key pillars for Bank intervention;
5. Participate in the review of policies, strategies, procedure and guidelines for Bank’s intervention in the agricultural and agro-industry sectors and related activities;
6. Contribute to the development of appropriate strategies for intervening in the agricultural and rural development sector in line with country strategic paper/poverty reduction strategic papers for the various regional members countries;
7. Serve as a base for sector knowledge building and dissemination by initiating sector studies and analysis;
8. Assist in the creation of platforms, networks and partnerships relevant to agriculture and agro-industry.
Co-financing and Aid-Coordination
1. Represent the Bank in donor meetings aimed at reviewing borrowers’ priorities for sector investment programs and agree on various sectorial issues, policies and strategies, as well as co-financing arrangements;
2. Propose projects and programs to be co-financed with other donors;
3. Act as co-operating institutions for other donor agencies to follow up on the implementation of their projects;
4. Participate in the Bank’s representation at regional and international meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops dealing with issues concerning the sectors’ development and related areas;
5. Develop partnerships with Breton Wood institutions, United Nations agencies, bilateral agencies, Non-government organization and relevant regional and sub-regional bodies for the realisation of the department’s strategic plan.
Undertake any other assignments assigned by the department Director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's or equivalent degree in agricultural economics/agriculture/agribusiness, food sciences/technology, agriculture finance or related field.
2. At least eight (8) years of relevant experience, five (5) of which should be in multilateral development institutions in Agriculture and / or agribusiness management as a professional, and three (3) years of which should be at a managerial level.
3. Experience in structuring and delivering private sector operations and investments.
4. Proven experience in agriculture business development in Africa, applied to deliver the entire scope of the Bank’s Feed Africa strategy.
5. Knowledge of operational policies, rules, procedures and practices of the Bank or comparable institution;
6. Ability to analyse and evaluate critical matters pertaining to a broad spectrum of agribusiness issues and provide policy advice.
7. Experience in delivering high quality operational products and services (economic and technical analyses, research advice, sectoral studies and evaluation) in support of the Bank’s work.
8. Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues and staff members of the Division.
9. Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
10. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.