WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1963, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative interventions that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In addition to providing finance, the Bank is Africa's voice on global economic, financial and development issues, a role that has taken significant importance in light of increasing global integration and interconnection. In order to sharply focus on the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy TYS (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up. These include; energy, agriculture, industrialization, integration, and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a senior management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. This will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Eastern Africa Regional Directorates provides overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
The position is situated within one of the Divisions in the Eastern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery Office.
The Principal Agriculture Officer is responsible for the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of agriculture, livestock and natural resource management sector projects. He/She is expected to provide specialist advice and inputs to the Bank Group’s operational activities through review of technical design and institutional arrangements for agricultural projects/programmes proposed for Bank’s funding and assessing their feasibility from the perspective of present and future impact In this role, the incumbent interacts closely with other staff members in the following complexes; the Agriculture, Human and Social Development (AHVP), Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization (PIVP); and Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth (PEVP). In particular, the incumbent will be required to engage closely with the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department (AHAI) and Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department (AHFR), which provide strategic guidance for the implementation of the Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy and flagship programs, namely: The Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) Program, the ENABLE Youth Flagship, the Post-Harvest Loss and Agro-Processing (PHAP) Flagship, the Transformation of African Savannah Initiative (TASI), the Special Crop Processing Zones, the Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) Flagship, the Blue Economy Flagship, Leadership 4 Agriculture (L4Ag) initiative and/or other Flagships. The Principal Officer will be directly involved in the project development cycle from identification of opportunities in line with the Feed Africa High 5 to approval by the Bank’s Boards of Directors.
Business Development and Project Origination:
In line with the Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy, Country Strategy Papers and Regional Integration Strategy Papers, the incumbent will:
Technical Analysis, Project Design and Implementation:
- Promote value chain development, value addition and primary and secondary processing of crops and livestock;
- Catalyze private sector entry and growth in African agribusiness;
- Promote agri-Small and Medium Enterprise growth and the commercialization of agriculture, particularly addressing access to finance needs, and create farm to fork market linkages; Facilitate the development of agro-poles and agro-processing hubs;
- Support the development of an agribusiness enabling environment, and;
- Facilitate investments in hard infrastructure (including roads, markets and irrigation), soft infrastructure (human capital, i.e., trained potential employees, information and communication technology, etc.); enable policies and reforms, for transformation of African agriculture into viable, profitable businesses.
10. Support the structuring of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) agribusiness projects, to catalyze private sector investment;
11. In relation to the Bank’s country and regional strategies, identify, prepare, appraise and supervise related agriculture and agro-industry sub-sector operations.
12. Assist Regional Member Countries to radically boost their agro industries as a platform for job creation, improved livelihood and broad-based economic growth and development;
13. Undertake analysis and sector studies to orient the Bank’s strategy of intervention in the area of agriculture and agro industry development for Africa;
14. Contribute with technical inputs to Bank Group’s operational activities relating agriculture and agro-industrial development, through the review of the technical design and institutional arrangements for agricultural programmes proposed for Bank’s funding;
15. Set up and maintain strategic collaboration with relevant partners in the area of agriculture, livestock and agribusiness/agro-industry;
17. Undertake any other assignments as may be assigned by the Division Manager and/or senior management.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
The complexity of this position demands that the incumbent possess the following:
Education and Computer Proficiency:
At least a Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Agronomy, Rural Development, Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, Agricultural Finance, Development Finance, or related Social Sciences disciplines;
Communication and interpersonal skills:
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.