WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead Senior Management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The primary role of the Programming and Budget Department is to develop a strategic approach to planning and budgeting, and to coordinate the definition, planning, implementation and monitoring of Bank-wide programming and budgeting processes.
The Budget Execution Coordination Division is responsible for budget execution coordination support through the coordination of the work programme planning, budgeting and resource management at the various complexes in close consultation with all stakeholders throughout the Budget cycle. It is also responsible for performance monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the work program and budget. It contributes to the development of Key Performance Indicators and provides quantitative and qualitative analyses on the Bank’s performance for information, control and decision making. In addition, it is in charge of implementing capacity building programs on budgeting and resource management.
The primary role of the Principal Budget and Resource Management Coordinator is to monitor and to oversee the coordination of the Complex work program, to provide specialist advice and guidance on budget and resource management issues, and to promote capacity building among the clients including the Directors, Head of Units, Managers, Budget focal points and Staff. The Resource Management Coordinator will also work in partnership with clients to proactively seek to understand their business priorities to better guide them and implement a range of creative solutions that support the growth and development of the Bank in line with the strategic priorities.
Working closely with Vice-presidency front office(s) of the Complex(es), the Resource Management Coordinator’s main responsibility is to ensure efficient use of resources and effective delivery of the work program. To achieve this, working within the overall framework of the Budget Department, and engaging directly with the Complex, the incumbent is to:
1. Ensure that: (i) the preparation and implementation of the Work Programme and Budget of the Complex is well coordinated; and (ii) the resources allocated to the Work Programme are aligned with the Bank’s strategic priorities and are executed consonant with those priorities and Bank guidelines and policies.
2. Ensure that budget re-allocation and reprogramming proposals/ requests are based on substance, need, and are in conformity with Bank policies, priorities and commitments.
3. Enhance the knowledge and capacity of the Complex on budget preparation, spending and reporting procedures to ensure compliance with the budget management guidelines, principles, and international best practice.
4. Strengthen the performance and accountability framework and culture (resource utilization and results).
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Budget Execution Coordination, the Resource Management Coordinator will:
1. Coordinate the preparation of administrative expenses and capital expenditure budgets within the Complex and ensure that timely inputs are provided for the three year rolling plan and budget documents.
2. Advise and fully participate in the work program and budget arbitration process in the Complex.
3. Participate in Programming and Budget Department periodic review of the regulatory framework and institutional governance of the Bank’s programming and budget processes and contribute to the improvement of budget processes and procedures.
4. Work in close consultation with the Directors/ Head of Units, Managers and Budget Focal Points, on a regular basis, to ensure the effective delivery of the Work Programme in line with the Bank’s strategy and the institutional priorities.
5. Coordinate with the Human Resources Management Department and oversee the preparation and updates of staffing plans by Departments and ensure the consistency of the Complex’s Staffing plan with its budget.
6. Work in partnership with the Vice-president, Directors and Managers to proactively understand business priorities and identify resources for their delivery.
7. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
8. Ensure work programs and budgets are executed as planned to minimize the risk of non-delivery, and ensure major deviations from planned programs are duly explained.
9. Conduct due diligence reviews on requests for budget transfer; ensure that they are approved by the relevant authority in accordance with the delegation of authority matrix, and that they are executed.
10. Regularly analyse the postings on budget internal orders of units in the complex in order to detect any anomalies, errors and invalid commitments; and follow-up for corrective action where required.
11. During the year-end closing period: (i) liaise with General Services And Procurement Department to ensure that all valid purchase requisitions are translated into purchase orders; (ii) ensure the proper carry-over of the committed appropriation for which no obligation are discharged. Subsequently, follow up with business units to ensure that all obligation carried over to the following year are settled before the end of June in line with the Bank’s regulations.
12. Develop and implement the capacity building programmes throughout the Complex and Bank wide on IT budgeting systems and tools, budget planning, resource management and monitoring in order to promote compliance with budget management principles, guidelines and procedures, and better value for money.
13. Lead and intensify communication on budget related topics and issues at all levels throughout the Complex and ensure that issues requiring timely attention are identified and acted on promptly.
14. Work with the Cost Accounting System team and organizational units in the complex to prescribe work breakdown structures, coordinate the timely submission of Activity Time Recording System inputs, the production of Activity Time Recording System reports and related analyses, and ensure the timely resolution of issues that impact upon the effective and efficient operation of Activity Time Recording System across the Complex.
15. Promote utilization of Cost Accounting System reports in the Complex to drive efficiency and accountability, improve planning and enhance cost sharing processes.
16. Advise on, and contribute to the development of Key Performance Indicators and related targets for the Complex and ensure their consistency with overall Bank strategic Key Performance Indicators.
17. Lead the preparation of monthly, quarterly Key Performance Indicators reports for the assigned Cost centres and ensure their integration into various institutional reports prepared as required by Management and the Boards, as well as follow up on the implementation of recommendations in quarterly reports, independent reviews and audit reports insofar as they relate to budget and work program execution
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Business administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics or related fields;
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant work experience; previous exposure to international, multicultural contexts would be an asset, and having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
3. Strong knowledge and experience of budget and work program implementation processes in organizations as the Bank.
4. Capacity for conceptual and strategic analysis and good command of budget planning and management matters.
5. Ability to disseminate knowledge and lead communications on budget preparation and management, and performance reporting.
6. Strong negotiation skills, coupled with the ability to build partnerships.
7. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
8. Strong leadership, client orientation as well as team working skills.
9. Capacity to diagnose and resolve multiple, concurrent problems as well as managing multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
10. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
11. Competence in the use of SAP or equivalent ERP Systems and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.