WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead Senior Management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The primary role of the Programming and Budget Department is to develop a strategic approach to planning and budgeting, and to coordinate the definition, planning, implementation and monitoring of Bank-wide programming and budgeting processes.
The Budget Programming Division is responsible to lead the formulation of the Bank’s three-year resource planning and allocation framework in line with key institutional priorities and the Bank’s strategy, cross-cutting objectives and areas of priority. The Division also assists and contributes to leading and coordinating Budget Programming, Budget Processes, Budget Data Management; Budget Policies and Budget Control Framework activities.
The Principal Budget Officer, Policy and Processes is responsible for formulating, developing, coordinating and implementing activities related to Budget Policy and Processes; the incumbent is to contribute to the improvement and integration of Bank-wide budget processes, ranging from programming to execution with emphasis on Cost Accounting and Management Accounting, to the continuous review and enhancement of related budget policies, guidelines and processes in line with policy changes and best practices.
The Principal Budget Officer, Policy and Processes is to ensure:
1. Existence of effective budget policies and guidelines that are aligned with current best practice and which address emerging issues.
2. Effective implementation of budget policies and processes in the Bank’s budget management systems;
3. The management accounting tools produce relevant data for planning, control and decision making;
4. Adequate definition and maintenance of budget Charts of accounts;
5. Capacity building materials and all forms of communication regarding budget and resource management for all relevant clients reflect existing policies and procedures;
6. Alignment and consistency between budget policies, processes and procedures with Bank-wide policies, strategies and priorities.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Programming, the Principal Budget Officer is to perform the following duties:
1. Set up the necessary regulatory framework and develop budget policy documents to guide the programming and budgeting process (planning, execution, accountability, budget transfers and authority, etc.) for the Bank Group and collaborate in the implementation of budget reforms.
2. Develop, design, maintain and update budgeting, processes and procedures documents and manuals related to existing or new processes or projects based on understanding of the Bank’s operational context, results of benchmarking activities and emerging global practices.
3. Review the cost allocation framework to facilitate and stabilise Bank Group budgeting and reporting and the structure of existing master data/cost objects, ensure compliance with existing policies and guidelines, and recommend changes when necessary.
4. Work with SAP FICO (Financial Accounting and Controlling module) experts to define/update the chart of budget accounts (or cost objects) that is well defined and aligned to internationally accepted standards and easy to understand.
5. Act as interface between the Programming and Budget Department, and other Organizational Units on issues related to expenditures posting and their guiding principles and participate in all forums and policy dialogues with implications on budgeting to ensure compliance with financial regulations and budget policies.
6. Carry out reviews, including for cross-cutting processes, in order to determine the extent to which budget policies, procedures and guidelines are complied with and contribute to the definition, monitoring and enhancement of the Bank’s costing framework.
7. Analyze budget and related matters reported in Audit Reports and observations by the Independent Development Evaluation into a framework that facilitates the development of a risk assessment model; assist the Director and Division Managers to monitor audit report follow up actions i.e. their implementation – and advise them on observations that may require policy or guideline strengthening.
8. Participate in the definition of specific procedures for cost sharing apportionment and distribution based on Operational and Non Operational Cost Data.
9. Contribute to the improvement of budget infrastructure and the development of simplified budgeting tools, build and promote analytical and financial modelling, design reports and undertake specific analysis on budget performance for internal and external decision making involving efficiency gains and cost reduction.
10. Support the preparation of the Bank-wide medium term resource framework in line with corporate priorities, sustainable lending and resource options.
11. Act as a lead resource person for capacity building initiatives and participate in the development of training materials for all budget management actors in consonance with existing policies, guidelines and procedures as well as emerging best practices.
12. Provide assistance in the Change Management activities related to implementing a culture of efficiency and effectiveness in a development institution.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in IT, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Accounting or related fields ; having a certification in at least one module of SAP or other ERP systems, and/or a membership of an accounting, finance or planning body is an added advantage.
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant working experience in developing and implementing budget or financial management systems as well as processing, analyzing and presenting budget and other statistical or accounting information; Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
3. Good knowledge of operational and project management systems would be advantageous.
4. Capacity for formulation, conceptual and strategic analysis and good command of budgetary, operational management and performance monitoring matters.
5. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
6. Demonstrated capacity to lead and advise on new projects, initiatives and change management initiatives.
7. Problem-solving: Identify problems associated with changes in methodology and utilize business knowledge to resolve them.
8. Provide clear, concise oral and written communication in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language, and the ability to present oral information with appropriate style and adapts language to suit a particular audience’s requirements; encourage open and frank communications in all interactions.
9. Team working and relationships: Track record in leading teams and steering them towards informed policy choices and ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients within and outside the Bank and deliver results that meet their needs and long-term interests.
10. Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities under tight deadlines.
11. Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
12. Competence in the use of ERP Systems (preferably SAP, with emphasis on SAP-CO and Funds Management), BI tools (preferably BIW and Dashboards) and standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.