WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’. The Complex is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENTDIVISION:
The African Development Institute (ECAD) coordinates and executes Capacity Development (CD) programs in the regional member countries (RMCs) by (i) providing advisory services on capacity building; (ii) identifying and designing tailored capacity development programmes and implementing the programmes; and (iii) leveraging partnerships and coordinating knowledge dissemination and outreach, with a view to improving policy-making, economic governance and sustainable development in the Regional Member Countries.
The Institute has two divisions, namely Program Development (ECAD.1) and Policy Management (ECAD.2). The strategic objective of the Program Development Division (ECAD.1) is to enhance the knowledge base and programs of African countries in promoting development. Hence the Division undertakes design and implementation of programs and activities to improve general knowledge and build institutional capacity to diversify economies, boost growth and create decent employment. These also include programs to support the Bank’s lending operations, improve the quality of the Bank’s portfolio and ensure that the development impact of Bank-funded projects and programs are realized.
The Capacity Development (CD) Officer, ECAD1, will play an active role in the day-to-day delivery of the Department’s mandate, ensure that high quality standards are observed, and collaborate with the staff of the Bank’s other departments and outside partners to promote capacity development in Africa.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Program Development (ECAD1), the Capacity Development officer will:
1. Develop programs, strategies and concept notes for capacity development for Regional Member countries.
2. Undertake research on capacity development needs of the public, private and non-governmental institutions in Africa on any topic relevant for achieving the Bank’s High 5s.
3. Design innovative programs to improve the quality of capacity development in Africa.
4. Manage the delivery of capacity development activities such as workshops, seminars, conferences, and roundtable meetings at the Bank’s headquarters and in the Bank’s Regional Member Countries.
5. Actively engage in resource mobilization for capacity development activities.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold a Master’s degree in Economics, Public Policy, Business Administration, Public Administration, or in a related field. A PhD is preferred.
2. Extensive in teaching, research or in operations with proven competence and ability to develop concept notes, design training programs and deliver lectures in one of the following fields: (i) Macroeconomics/Economic Management; (ii) Financial Sector Development; (iii) Fiscal Affairs (including revenue generation and debt management); and (iv) Fiduciary Affairs of a Project Implementation Unit (Procurement, Disbursement or Financial Management).
3. Have a minimum of six (06) years of relevant and progressive work experience. Experience in writing notes, reports and briefs and ability to handle knowledge dissemination.
4. Strong quantitative analytical skills with a passion for figures and a mastery of the use of relevant software to prepare pictorials, charts and graphs.
5. Sound knowledge and good understanding of capacity development needs in Africa at national levels and also at the level of project implementation units and proficiency in writing proposals for resource mobilization.
6. Capacity to conceptualize new approaches and innovation in capacity development and to develop user friendly training materials.
7. Ability to interpret policies, guidelines and procedures and draw personal judgment.
8. Ability to think strategically and link the goals of the Division and Department to the Bank’s core strategic goals, and set priorities accordingly.
9. A demonstrated team player with strong communication, problem solving, self-organization and time management skills.
10. A client and results-oriented individual with a proactive attitude.
11. Excellent verbal and written communication skills (attach a sample of own writings) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
12. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.