WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s) have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice-Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The Complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development (AHFR) provides support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The Department is to mobilize and deploy the required expertise; and, provide support the design and implementation of agricultural finance and rural development operations for key commodity value chains as highlighted in Feed Africa. AHFR is structured into two Divisions: (i) Agriculture and Rural Finance Division; and (ii) Rural Infrastructure Development Division.
The Rural Infrastructure Development Division has the following deliverables:
1. High-quality and innovative instruments for rural infrastructure integrated into projects.
2. Practical implementation arrangements with key Implementing partners.
3. Knowledge management of rural infrastructure best practices.
4. Enabling environment and alliances with key stakeholders.
5. Monitoring of performance and recommendations for corrective actions.
The main purposes of the Principal Commodity Crop Processing Zones/ Rural Development Officer in the Rural Infrastructure Development Division are :
1. Develop and establish Commodity Crop Processing Zones for rural development for agricultural transformation, focused on development and upgrading for 18 key priority value chains articulated in the Feed Africa Strategy in targeted Agro Ecological Zones (AEZ);
2. Provide support and expertise to regional directorates on Commodity Crop Processing Zones increasing the participation of rural youth, women and smallholder farmers in the 18 priority commodity value chains in targeted AEZs;
3. Ensure adoption of social and environmental safeguards for rural infrastructure;
4. Monitor and report on the implementation of the rural infrastructure instruments and their contribution to Feed Africa and action plan.
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager Rural Infrastructure Development, the Principal Commodity Crop Processing Zones/ Rural Development Officer will perform the following:
1. Implement the action plan for rural infrastructure development
, which includes geo-spatial development in the context of Commodity Crop Processing Zones that take into consideration smallholder farmers and Micro Small and Medium Enterprises, women and youth, and that facilitate sustainable and integrated agricultural value chain development;
2. Provide technical support and oversight to the Regional Directorates and country teams for Commodity Crop Processing Zones increasing the participation of private sector participation in the 18 priority commodity value chains in targeted Agro Ecological Zones;
3. Provide technical support and oversight to the conceptualization and guide the implementation of Commodity Crop Processing Zones, Agropoles/Agro Industrial Zones /Parks/Commodity Processing Zones etc;
4. Support Regional Member Countries and Task Managers in the identification, preparation and appraisal of Commodity Crop Processing Zones;
5. Enhance project implementation quality, timeliness and integrity through developing and implementing controls that minimize slippages;
6. Develop and implementing performance monitoring and evaluation systems and reporting activities (including KPIs –Key Performance Indicators- ) to enable transparent assessment of Commodity Crop Processing Zones and rural infrastructure outcomes and impacts, both for internal and external circulation;
7. Establish synergies between Commodity Crop Processing Zones and the Bank’s other flagship programs for agricultural transformation in Africa;
8. Maintain regular communication channels with stakeholders on progress and achievement of agriculture value chain financing operations as well as emerging constraints and opportunities;
9. Establish and maintain strategic collaboration with private sector partners and Governments for geo-spatial development in the context of special economic zones for the agro industrial development;
10. Define and monitor a set of impact indicators particularly around development impact and job creation for women and youth;
11. Agree upon follow up arrangements for project designs and technical assistance for implementation upon consultation with concerned African Development Bank country offices;
12. Supervise annual work plan budget preparation and follow its execution, and advise senior management on the budgetary and financial impacts of the division’s operations;
13. Review all reports and papers prepared by the staff of the Division and give appropriate guidance.
1. Manage the efficient use of the financial and human resources. On the technical front the work requires analytical and strategic skills, as well as personal knowledge and practical experience in the main areas of Bank intervention.
2. Ensure high-quality output within available resources, by making the best use of its human, financial and technological assets, and by monitoring and enforcing efficiency targets;
3. Supervise complex project identification, preparation and appraisal for Bank Group financing and verify quality of the projects.
1. Serve as a role model, leading by example, builds alignment and commitment;
2. Promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across teams and across organizational units;
3. Maintain a high standard of professional integrity, treat individuals fairly and respectively and be sensitive to differences across culture, nationalities and gender.
1. Ensure effective communication between the Management and staff of the Bank, the authorities of member countries, officials from other organizations;
2. Monitor best practice in the field and, as appropriate, liaise with counterparts in other organization.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Rural Development, Agricultural Economics Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering, or closely related disciplines;
2. Have a minimum of six (06) years relevant professional experience in the area of Commodity Crop Processing Zones and Public Private Partnerships;
3. Sound experience with International Development Institutions in developing countries including a satisfactory knowledge of their operational policies and procedures;
4. Proven leadership in matters relating to rural development such as policy dialogue, technical review of reports and consultation with other financiers, among others;
5. Significant experience in the provision of specialist technical advice on Commodity Crop Processing Zones, support and assistance to Regional Member Countries;
6. Knowledge of Africa and the rural development needs, opportunities, development challenges and possible solutions;
7. Demonstrated experience in providing Commodity Crop Processing Zones and geo-spatial solutions for rural and agricultural development;
8. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
9. Operational effectiveness;
10. Innovation and creativity;
13. Team working and relationship;
14. Client orientation;
15. Ability to identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors to drive development impact at a country and regional level;
16. Ability to lead and guide staff team from different backgrounds and in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with and among staff of the Division;
17. Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
18. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.