WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Cameroon - Gabon - Central African Republic - Chad
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions. Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
To support Programme Implementation and Monitoring, the Country Program Officer provides facilitation to review, examine and evaluate the organization's objectives, structure, procedures, policies and management systems. This is achieved through the evaluation of the efficiency and effectiveness of organizational programs, applying techniques such as management, organizational analysis, methods & procedures studies. The job also conducts planning and analyses of program and budget proposals to ensure conformity with the organization's work program, strategic focus and budgetary objectives. Periodic reports to management summarizing findings and recommendations for changes based on these analyses are undertaken.
The primary role of a Country Program Officer is to ensure a healthy and performing portfolio in the assigned Country. The Incumbent serves as the professional expert to support Country Managers with multiple work program and project activities and where required this support is extended to the Director General on Adhoc basis or as instructed. The role requires the continuous follow-ups with relevant task managers and prepare Country or Regional Portfolio improvement plans.
As Country Program Officer, the incumbent provides advice and guides strategic planning through strategic analysis and results frameworks within the assigned country. The incumbent supports and provides input for the design and development of work programs/projects and activities based on the approved Complex strategy and results framework and provide expertise for budgeting of resources.
Under the supervision of the Director General, the Country Programme Office undertakes the following duties and responsibilities:
• Preparation of reports - Prepare on a quarterly basis, a summary of the Quarterly Portfolio Report prepared by the country Office CPOs for the Director General, Deputy Director General, Regional CPO and the Lead Economist.
• Prepare on a monthly basis a synthesis of the implementation of the department work program and highlight the bottlenecks and proposed solutions.
• Monitor the implementation of the recommendations of the monthly portfolio flashlight reports.
• Budget Management - As Budget Coordinator or focal person to the department, play a coordination role for the preparation of the departmental work program and related budget jointly with Country Economists and Country Program Officers.
• Coordination - Coordinate the departmental submission through the use of the BRAG tool in coordination with country office CPOs.
• Coordinate overall portfolio management and operations programming.
• Monitoring - Follow-up and manage portfolio and operational activities.
• Follow-up on BDEV and project audit recommendations and requirements of the Board.
• Project & Work Program Management - Work with Sector Experts responsible for specific projects to ensure that solution to pending projects problems are resolved, and additionally serve as Secretary to the Country Team.
• Relationship Management - Serve as a corporate relationship manager for the Bank at the level of the Regional Hub.
• Serve as the focal point and spokesman on operational issues between the Regional Hub and external constituencies and borrowers.
• Compliance Management - Ensure that activity reports and audit reports comply with Bank requirements and are submitted on time.
• Ensure that the recommendations of supervision, portfolio review and audit missions are implemented.
• Provide effective oversight to project task teams on quality and compliance with Bank operational processes and procedures (including referring them to the relevant responsible staff in fiduciary, legal, safeguards, or other specialized areas);
• Oversee and support the work of Sector staff in undertaking country portfolio performance review processes with the Government and other Development Partners.
• Undertake quality control of key documents, participate in dialogue with Government, Regional or Country Economic Communities as required, and follow up on agreed actions;
• Support the Country Manager in ensuring country office team members actions comply with Bank Ethics, Regulations, Policies and guidance.
• Provide input to the preparation portfolio related to country briefs for Annual Meetings and other briefs to Management.
Coordination of Non Lending Activities
• Advice the Country Manager on strategic options as required to improve revenue generation and/or cost efficiencies. Work closely with the Country Manager and provide input to the yearly business planning and budgeting process, by considering the assigned Country’s needs & advising to ensure that work programmes are well constructed and aligned with Bank’s priorities that include but are not limited to income generation & operational priorities.
• Provide support in administering the Analytic and Advisory Activities and lending operations at various stages of preparation and provide inputs on such documentation. This function focuses on reviewing and assessing concept notes, draft appraisal reports, other operations documents and final outputs;
• Under the guidance of the Country Manager, establish and, strategically manage solid working relationships with the assigned country’s government, international development agencies, clients and key stakeholders.
• Support the Country Manager to manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
• Actively support the Country Manager to manage relationships with government and other Development Partners (DPs).
• Advises on and lead initiatives and strategies to foster effective and strong relationships with Government, Private Sector and Development Partners.
• Lead the Country portfolio performance review process with the relevant RECs/Government and other Development Partners that include responsibility for quality control of key documents, taking part in dialogue with RECs/Government and following up on agreed actions;
• Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of project outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
• Actively interact with task managers/relevant Bank units and the PIUs/government agencies to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the portfolio management;
• Provide feedback to the Country Manager on Bank policies, strategies and operational procedures, with an aim towards continuous improvement of Bank policies implementation;
• Incorporate lessons learned in project development and implementation.
Championing the Complex / Regional mandate and purpose – Provide a direct and indirect operational support that contributes to the Region or Country output and mandate of the Complex.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Executing for Results
Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint)
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.