WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
ABIDJAN - COTE D'IVOIRE / SOUTH AFRICA
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The SNVP will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
Located within the SVNP Complex, the Safeguards and Compliance Department (SNSC) is responsible for mainstreaming environmental and social development considerations into Bank-financed operations in the public and private sectors through the implementation of the Integrated Safeguard System (ISS). The Department’s main tasks is to improve the quality-at-entry (QAE) of Bank operations, including Country Strategy Papers and project-specific interventions (projects, ESW, etc.) as well as during implementation, with a particular emphasis on enhancing developmental effectiveness through application of environmental, social and climate safeguards procedures and tools at various stages of the project cycle. The Safeguards and Compliance Department’s mission is to ensure proper application of the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS) and its associated procedures, guidelines and tools, in order to enhance environmental, social and climate sustainability into the Bank’s operations.
The Senior Environmental Officer works under the supervision and overall direction of the Director of the Department of Environmental and Social Safeguards, in close collaboration with the Environmental and Social Safeguards and Compliance Officers at the regional platform level. The incumbent will be responsible for implementing the Bank's environmental and social policies, procedures and guidelines in the operations of the institution in both the private and public sectors, while respecting the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS).
The Principal Environment Officer’s’ core duties/responsibilities will include the following:
Mainstreaming of environmental concerns:
Policy and Compliance with environmental and social requirements:
Capacity building and Knowledge Management:
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Have at least a Master's degree in Environmental Studies, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Policy or a related discipline. A PhD and / or Chartered Environmentalist qualification is an additional asset;
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in areas related to environmental and natural resource management, environmental assessment, environmental monitoring and environmental stewardship;
3. Have good knowledge and experience in developing and managing the implementation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMP), Environmental Management Framework the social aspects of development projects (health and safety aspects, involuntary resettlement and gender issues, etc.), monitoring and evaluation conformity;
4. Have a proven knowledge and practice of ISS, including the safeguards policies, procedures and practices of development agencies of key bilateral and multilateral partners in regional member countries.
5. Have a good knowledge and experience of multi-criteria assessments, stakeholder engagement and consultation, community participation; have analytical skills to assess institutional capacity and to design / review practical arrangements for implementing complex projects, particularly in Africa;
6. Be results oriented, able to work in a team, a meticulous analyst with a sense of detail, a persuasive communicator and an excellent copywriter;
7. Listening to clients - providing effective services and solutions to staff beyond presenting past challenges and challenges and gaining respect through the depth of demonstrated expertise, effectively managing various clients and country situations;
8. Innovation and Change - Constantly seek more efficient and practical methods for the delivery of services and products as well as departmental process management and propose new ways to improve the quality and relevance of products and services;
9. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment and to develop effective working relationships with clients and colleagues;
10. Have excellent technical and analytical skills, with a proven track record in operational and political work on environmental and social issues;
11. Have a good knowledge of the assessment, preparation and / or management of the implementation of the Bank's environmental and social safeguards on the development of major infrastructures in Africa;
12. Have a good knowledge of the environmental and social issues facing Regional Member Countries (RMCs);
13. Have solid practical experience in the evaluation, integration and monitoring of social development concerns at the level of Bank operations;
14. Be an accredited member of recognized professional organizations such as IEMA, CIWEM, RGS, etc.
15. Be able to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language;
16. Master the use of MS Office software and have a good knowledge of SAP.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.