- Position title: Principal Investigation & Forensic Accountant
- Grade: PL4
- Position N°: 50076486
- Reference: ADB/17/203
- Publication date: 16/05/2017
- Closing date: 07/06/2017
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Office of Integrity and Anti-Corruption plays an integral role in achieving this mandate by protecting the Bank’s corporate image and reputation, and improving the continent's investment climate through the deterrence, prevention and reduction of fraud, corruption, staff misconduct and other harmful practices within the Bank Group. The Investigation Division has the overriding mandate to undertake unhindered investigations into allegations of corruption, fraud and other malpractices in Bank Group Financed Operations and conduct investigations into allegations of misconduct involving staff members of the Bank.
The Principal Investigation & Forensic Accountant will conduct comprehensive forensic accounting investigations into allegations of staff misconduct, fraud, corruption and other malpractices in Bank Group-financed Operations, administrative budgets and misuse of Bank resources. The outcome of these investigations is transmitted under mechanisms elaborated by the Bank's Sanctions process, Human Resources, and Senior Management.
In undertaking investigations, the Principal Investigation & Forensic Accountant shall maintain the highest standard of professional proficiency and integrity, and shall be guided by ethos of confidentiality, fairness, equity and due diligence.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Principal Investigation & Forensic Accountant will:
1. To lead investigation teams or assist colleague investigator(s) to conduct investigations into allegations of staff misconduct, fraud and corruption by identifying and providing detailed response to internal control weaknesses and red flags in financial statements.
2. Utilize forensic accounting techniques to reconstruct corporate books, records and electronic information with suspect organizations/entities and/or analyse them and participate in fact-finding interviews
3. Operate procedures and mechanisms for ensuring confidentiality of the hotline facility, protection of the whistle-blowers and anonymous reporting of fraud and corruption within the Bank and in activities financed by the Bank in Regional Member Countries
4. Receive, screen and investigate allegations or whistle-blowing on Staff misconduct, Fraud, Corruption and malpractices or suspicions thereof, in the Bank and in activities financed by the Bank, assigned by the Division Manager Investigation
5. Employ surveillance measures deemed necessary and reasonable for the furtherance of investigations.
6. Report regularly to the Division Manager Investigation on the allegations received, screened and their investigation status
7. Perform analytical work on accountability issues; profiling of project activities and identifying potential risks to project funds
8. Prepare and edit required written reports, briefs and presentations of the highest quality for in-house standard judicial scrutiny (sanctions process)
9. Conduct pro-active reviews aimed at detecting and preventing fraud and corruption in Bank operations in collaboration with relevant units within the Bank and member countries
10. Monitor the implementation of investigations recommendations to prevent re-occurrence of such irregularities to safeguard the assets and image of the Bank
11. Assist regional member countries to respond to allegations involving the propriety of accounting and financial reporting, fraud, regulatory due diligence scrutiny and anti-corruption inquiries
12. Advise colleagues on identifying and assisting with their response to internal control weaknesses and indicators of fraud and corruption
13. Work independently or as part of a team in developing fraud and corruption prevention strategies and activities
14. Provide forensic accounting advice and support to investigators
15. Provide technical support on requests coming from within the Bank and from RMCs and other Multilateral Development Banks on fraud and corrupt activities
16. Defining, proposing and integrating various technological solutions to enhance Forensic Accounting-based intelligence gathering and preventive measures
17. Carrying out computer forensic examinations to be admissible as evidence in tribunal proceedings such as capturing and seizing electronic data
18. Analysing electronic data and computer storage devices, i.e. hard disks, tapes, etc. - tracing computer usage and history from Operating System logs and application files.
19. Maintaining the hardware and software in the computer forensic laboratory and keeping abreast with technical developments in digital forensic equipment, software and techniques
20. Managing and conducting missions to capture and seize electronic data
21. Managing and assuring backup of electronic evidence in the forensic laboratory
22. Performing tool testing for updated forensic tools against standard forensic data
23. Undertaking system and network administration tasks to support the operations of investigators of the Division in a networked environment
24. Conducting field work, controlling evidence and data collection and reviewing documents and information gathered in the course of an investigation to ensure that investigation objectives are achieved, protect the evidence and adequately support the findings, conclusions and recommendations of the investigation
25. Preparing Quarterly Activity Reports containing the status of allegations, preliminary reviews and assignment progress for the attention of the Division Manager Investigation
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Audit, Banking, Economics, or any related fields; A professional (preferably forensic) accounting certification is highly desirable
2. Minimum of Six (6) years of relevant experience gained within an international organization or Company, covering investigations of fraud, corruption and/or collusion, with at least three (3) years in the field of forensic and investigative accounting.
3. Integrity, good judgment, fairness and discretion in dealing with staff and external parties
4. Working familiarity with investigative and forensic software
5. Extensive understanding of forensic accounting, investigation and computer-based fraud detection techniques, specifically related to fraud and corruption in development projects
6. Knowledge in essential aspects of computer security in diverse IT areas: database, development, network, operating systems, IT security, specific applications security, etc
7. Knowledge of Digital Forensic Software
8. Experience with internal control systems with the ability to assess such systems and recommend remedial action
9. Proven leadership qualities, as well as strong interpersonal and communication skills
10. Experience of a multi-cultural environment and multi-disciplinary teams
11. Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written; proven ability to clearly and concisely prepare, present, discuss and defend issues, findings and recommendations at senior levels and to produce complex and compelling briefs, reports, papers, etc
12. Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a team/task force as participant or team leader and with senior officials internally and externally
13. Strong interviewing skills, capacity to influence and win the confidence of difficult witnesses
14. Strong organizational and analytical ability with attention to detail
15. Ability to work independently and manage challenges
16. Competence in Forensic Accounting software and techniques
17. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
Competence in the use of the Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel. Power point).
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
| || |
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.