WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Years Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”. The Complex will focus on areas of power systems, renewable energy, energy efficiency, policy and regulation; and, Climate and Green Growth.
THE DEPARTMENT/DIVISION :
The Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Department has the broad objective of promoting the development of renewable energy - both large and small scale - and promoting energy efficiency along with clean cooking. The Department is comprised of two divisions:
The Renewable Energy Specialist will be responsible for ensuring the technical strength of the Bank’s renewable energy activities so as to place the Bank in a leading role in Africa with respect to the development, financing and deployment of renewable energy projects. The job holder will focus on the preparation and implementation of bankable renewable energy generation projects led by both public and private sector clients. The incumbent will also be responsible to support Regional Member Countries (RMCs) and private sector tapping into the renewable energy potential across Africa.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Division Manager Renewable Energy and Division Manager Energy Efficiency and Clean Cooking, the Investment Officer/Specialist will perform the following:
1. Engage with relevant stakeholders in the Bank’s regional member countries to set up conducive enabling policy and regulatory environment for the development of renewable energy, energy efficiency and off-grid access, including setting up quality standards ;
2. Assist the Bank’s regional member countries in structuring and obtaining funding for renewable energy and energy efficiency projects from internal and external climate finance or other facilities;
3. Mobilize technical assistance resources from various internal and external sources for improving the enabling environment for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency ;
4. Support the Bank’s regional member countries to ensure the effective implementation of renewable energy and energy efficiency components of their nationally determined contributions;
5. Play a leading role with Bank’s regional member countries / private sector sponsors / commercial banks for the development/financing of specific utility-scale renewable and energy efficiency projects;
6. Contribute, along with Hub-based staff, in the process of identification and preparation of renewables and energy efficiency related operations (policy, advisory, investment) whilst ensuring country ownership;
7. Provide deep sector expertise for quality assurance of sector studies related to the development of renewable energy and energy efficiency projects: preparation of terms of reference, review and validation process of feasibility studies and power sector analysis;
8. Review and quality assurance of project preparation and appraisal documents vis-à-vis technical requirements;
9. Liaise with the Energy Financial Solutions Division for the design of innovative financing approaches and the mobilization of resources to develop renewable energy and energy efficiency operations;
10. Contribute to the preparation of knowledge and analytical work for to inform country strategic work as well as new operations in the areas of renewable energy and energy efficiency;
11. Undertake any other task that the Division Managers or Director may assign.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Energy, Sustainable Energy, Engineering, Business Administration, Finance or related subjects;
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years professional experience at project level, broad knowledge of all energy sub-sectors, including renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency with specific experience in project design and implementation;
3. Additional qualifications in specific areas (e.g. wind, solar, biomass, geothermal, energy efficiency) project and climate finance;
4. Proven experience in appraising and supervising projects undertaken by Multilateral Development Banks / Development Financial Institutions is also a plus;
5. Proven ability to interact competently with, as well as to assess and provide technical advisory services to, both public and private sector stakeholders in the renewable energy/energy efficiency space;
6. Proven experience in private sector deal structuring and advisory (e.g. business models, financial structuring, fund-raising, technical development, community engagement).
7. Proven ability to lead renewable power project development and financing, ideally with experience in the region;
8. In-depth knowledge of power utilities operation as well the legal, policy and regulatory frameworks governing renewable energy projects, particularly in context of developing countries;
9. Knowledge of the principles of project cycle and project implementation;
10. Innovative thinking;
11. Client orientation;
12. Ability to listen and communicate effectively with counterparts;
13. Team player;
14. Interpersonal skills;
15. Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.