- Position title: Principal Legal Counsel – Administrative Affairs
- Grade: PL4
- Position N°: 50000638
- Reference: ADB/17/187
- Publication date: 10/05/2017
- Closing date: 31/05/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT / DIVISION:
The General Counsel and Legal Services Department delivers legal advice and services to the statutory organs of the Bank and the Fund: Boards of the Bank and the Fund, to Senior Management, to Regional Directorates and more generally to the whole Bank. The department is also protects the interest of the Bank from legal liability and as necessary provide legal representation in cases filed against or brought by the Bank.
The role of the Division, Administrative Affairs is to provide legal advice and assistance in connection with (i) litigation of any nature brought by or against the Bank (including legal action against the Bank through its own internal recourse mechanisms), (ii) all legal aspects pertaining to the Bank’s rules, regulations, procedures and processes in respect of human resources management including employment contracts, staff performance management, benefits, discipline and separation, (iii) institutional procurement, (iv) corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of various Bank instruments, and (v) insurance and pension matters, (vi) cooperation with public sector or private sector entities, including Non-Government Organizations.
The Principal Legal Counsel – Administrative Affairs will ensure the correct interpretation of, and compliance with the various Bank’s policies, rules, regulations and procedures applicable to staff (including Staff Rules and Regulations, applicable Presidential Directives and Administrative Instructions), corporate procurement, and delegation of authority.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Principal Legal Counsel – Administrative Affairs will provide legal advice and assistance in connection with litigation, all legal matters arising from the application of the Bank’s rules, regulations, procedures and processes in respect of human resources management, institutional procurement, corporate legal issues, insurance and pension matters, and cooperation with public sector or private sector entities, including Non-Government Organizations. In particular, the incumbent will:
1. Advise on constitutional and corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of the agreements establishing the Bank and the Fund;
2. Advise on, draft, vet and revise legal documents relating to the organization, structure, and administration of the Bank, the Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund (together “the Bank Group”) and the relations of the Bank Group with international organizations and with member and non-member states, including matters pertaining to the privileges, immunities and exemptions of the Bank and the Fund and those of officers, employees, experts and consultants of the Bank;
3. Participate in the preparation and representation of the Bank in internal litigation, including internal administrative review, appeal and Administrative Tribunal proceedings and coordinate the work of external counsel in external litigation in which the Bank is a party or may have an interest;
4. Advise on, negotiate, and prepare contracts for the acquisition of goods and services for the Bank including consulting and professional services, intellectual property, information technology, in accordance with the Bank’s procurement rules and financial regulations, and provide legal support and advice regarding existing contracts or new contracts to be entered into the Bank;
5. Advise on all administrative and human resources management matters of the Bank, including the drafting, review and amendment of employment contracts and other related legal documents, as well as advising on all legal issues relating to personnel matters, including staff benefits;
6. Advise on insurance matters and on administrative and policy matters concerning the Staff Retirement Plan and Medical Benefits Plan, and provide legal support that may be required in respect of thereto ;
7. Provide legal services in the negotiation and finalization of legal instruments of co-operation between the Bank and the Fund and bilateral and multilateral partners;
8. Prepare, negotiate and finalize host agreements and other instruments required to ensure the Bank’s presence in its member countries;
9. Participate in and contribute to meetings of Bank’s statutory committees, as directed by the General Counsel or the Division Manager, Administrative Affairs;
10. Establish and maintain contact with legal services of other multilateral institutions and of member states and with the legal profession in general in member states of the Bank on matters relating to the functions and activities of the Bank and the Fund;
11. Undertake such other assignments as required by the Division Manager, Administrative Affairs or the General Counsel.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Law, or its equivalent, and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries; or A Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the African Development Bank member countries.
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in similar jobs, preferably in a multilateral organization;
3. Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
4. High level communication and negotiation skills with the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs of the Legal Services Department’s work programs.
5. Demonstrated knowledge in the current trend of developments and familiarity with international law, and related matters.
6. Strong skills in preparation of complex legal documents including briefs and legal opinions, in leading the negotiation of complex agreements/contracts, such as host country agreements, information technology and copyrights-related contracts, partnership agreements and non-disclosure agreements;
7. Capacity to draft and negotiate complex agreements of all manners and form that balances the standards and norms of outside parties with the unique requirements of the Bank.
8. Ability to work and deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
9. Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help to resolve their legal questions;
10. Strong interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to work with multicultural and multidisciplinary teams and to inspire trust and confidence
11. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
12. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.