WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Banks' Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank. The Secretary General and the General Secretariat is comprised of: (i) the Immediate Office of the Secretary General which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section and the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section; (ii) a Board Affairs and Proceedings Division; (iii) a Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division; and (iv) a Conferences and Meetings Division
The main functions of the Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division and Diplomatic Missions consist of providing protocol services and managing relations with the Bank Group Headquarters or Country Office host countries as well as diplomatic missions.
The purpose of the Principal Protocol and Event Management Officer is to assist the Director General in providing protocol assistance for the President of the Bank, Elected Officers, Senior Management and Special Guests when visiting countries covered by the regional hub and monitor the implementation of the Agreements establishing the regional hub as well as the immunities, privileges and exemptions extended to the Country Offices in the region and staff; In this regard, preference will be given to candidates from the Southern Africa Region with proven knowledge and experience in the related field of work
Under the supervision and guidance of Chief Protocol Officers (Events and Diplomatic Missions - Privileges & Immunities) , the Principal Protocol and Events Management Officer will:
1. Provide Protocol services for the President of the Bank, in particular by assisting the President at the airport, accompanying him on missions; ensuring protocol coverage of his official activities, such as meetings, lunches, dinners, high-level visits, etc.;
2. Provide Protocol services for Elected Officers, Senior Management and Special Guests, in particular by assisting them at the airport, during their visits to the host country and as necessary during the Bank’s Annual Meetings;
3. Assist the Country Office Manager in carrying out his/her representation functions, in particular as they apply to the planning, organization, management, coordination and supervision of the Bank’s relations with the host country;
4. Prepare draft documents, memoranda, all notes verbal or correspondence relating to his /her duties and generally in all tasks entrusted to him/her by the Director of the Country Office;
5. Monitor the implementation of the Agreement establishing the regional hub as well as the immunities, privileges and exemptions extended to the Country Offices in the region and staff;
6. Formulate, transmit and follow up, in conjunction with the competent host country authorities, requests for tax exemption, long-stay visas, diplomatic and international organization cards, vehicle registration and Value Added Tax exoneration, and administer and follow up dossiers for presentation of newly recruited staff to host country authorities;
7. Handle and follow up any diplomatic disputes arising out of the application of the Host Country Agreements, in close collaboration with the Legal Services Department ;
8. Coordinate with the Bank Security Unit, all activities pertaining to the security of the Country Offices and staff and prepare reports as necessary; represent the Bank in meetings with the host country authorities (mainly Ministry of Foreign Affairs) concerning security of diplomatic missions and international organizations;
9. Assist the Country Offices and staff with matters relating to immunities, privileges and exemptions, and related administrative formalities and processes;
10. Prepare and participate in meetings organized by the host country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on management of privileges and immunities granted to the Bank and its staff;
11. Manage ceremonies and events of the Bank, including, but not limited to, loan, guarantee or grant agreement signing ceremonies, and all other meetings, conferences and events organized or sponsored by the Bank in the host country;
12. Manage visits by high-level guests of the Bank in the host country;
13. Manage relations between the Bank and foreign diplomatic representations to facilitate travel of Bank staff and their dependents for official missions or private travel;
14. Manage relations between the Bank and other international organizations, particularly in planning for the participation of the President and Bank delegations in high-level meetings;
15. Perform related duties assigned by the Director of the regional hub, the Division Manager or the Secretary General.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Public International Law or equivalent qualification in International Relations, Political Science, Diplomacy or a similar or related field.
2. Have a minimum of six (6) years professional experience holding a diplomatic position or a similar position in a multilateral development bank, Government or an international organization
3. The job holder should also have a sound experience in ceremony and event management as well as a sound knowledge of the Southern Africa Region, including cultural sensitivities as they may impact his/her work
4. Experience in public administration and law, planning and organization of high-level meetings and events management.
5. Excellent communication skills, good analytical and negotiation skills. A keen sense of initiative and anticipation as well as creativeness, rigorous and methodical approach.
6. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
7. A good knowledge of diplomatic norms and practices, with solid work experience in a similar field in the Southern Africa Region.
8. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
9. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP (or other integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages) is an added advantage
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT. CANDIDATES FROM THE SOUTHERN AFRICA REGION ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.