Principal Results Officer - Development Impact and Methodology
- Position title: Principal Results Officer - Development Impact and Methodology
- Grade: PL4
- Position N°: 50071214
- Reference: ADB/17/267
- Publication date: 13/06/2017
- Closing date: 28/06/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results. The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions. The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead Senior Management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
Located within the Senior Vice-Presidency Complex, the Department for Delivery, Performance Management and Results supports Senior Management in meeting African Development Bank’s development mandate, improving operational and corporate performance, accelerating the pace of delivery and increasing the Bank’s impact on development. As part of its mandate, it also works to strengthen the Bank’s external and internal accountability for results and promotes a performance-oriented culture across the organisation.
The Department’s activities will be undertaken by the following Divisions:
1. Corporate Performance and Accountability
2. Delivery Support
The Corporate Performance and Accountability Division is responsible for establishing and maintaining corporate frameworks for assessing and tracking the Bank’s development effectiveness and performance. As part of this mandate, it seeks to strengthen the Bank’s internal and external accountability and promote a performance-oriented culture.
The Division undertakes the following activities:
a) Establish corporate metrics for tracking performance & results - it ensures that accountabilities are clear, key performance indicators and scorecards are balanced and measure both outcome and performance and metrics cascade where appropriate. It also establishes an effective system of incentives by designing Key Performance Indicators that are aligned with the Bank’s Results Measurement Framework and corporate priorities.
b) Strengthen accountability, promote a performance culture and extend outreach - It promotes greater accountability as one of the key drivers of a performance-oriented culture. As part of this, the Division focuses on internal accountability by engaging with the Board of Directors and external accountability by providing stakeholders with an assessment of the Bank’s performance in meeting its development objectives and through communication and outreach.
c) Draw lessons from independent and external evaluations - it assesses Independent and External Evaluations with a view to improving the Bank’s performance, addressing critical issues, removing bottlenecks and improving business processes.
The Principal Results Officer – Development Impact and Methodology will lead work in the design and improvement of methodologies for tracking performance and development impact. The incumbent will be responsible for supporting work related to introducing and piloting a methodology called the Development Impact Approach. The incumbent will also provide technical support on issues related to results measurement in close cooperation with operations and regional teams including advice on the preparation of results measurement frameworks for projects, programmes and strategies. The Principal Results Officer will be responsible for supporting and maintaining the results measurement framework.
1. Designing and improving methodologies for tracking performance and development impact;
2. Establishing an effective system of incentives by designing Key Performance Indicators that are aligned with the Bank’s Results Measurement Framework and corporate priorities;
3. Ensuring that the Bank adheres to the highest standards on providing value-for-money to its stakeholders;
4. Reporting on results at all four levels of the Results Measurement Framework;
5. Supporting relevant departments to improve managing for development results and collect relevant data.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Manager, Corporate Performance and Accountability the Principal Results Officer will:
1. Lead the tracking of development results from approval to completion;
2. Design methodologies for tracking performance and development impact;
3. Design KPIs and indicators;
4. Lead the Bank’s work and efforts on Value for Money;
5. Contribute to developing, supporting and maintain the Bank Group’s Results Measurement Framework;
6. Supervise and review data collection for indicators at all four levels of the Bank’s Results Measurement Framework and ensuring overall coherence;
7. Cascade down the Results Measurement Framework as part of reporting mechanisms across the levels of Bank’s functions;
8. Lead and coordinate the qualitative and quantitative analysis on the Bank’s performance against the indicators and targets included in the Results Measurement Framework;
9. Lead data analytics work for enhanced operational knowledge on lessons learned;
10. Contribute to the effective roll-out of Results Reporting System, in coordination with regional hubs
11. Contribute to planning, organising and supervising one or several Banks’ flagship publications on Development Effectiveness: the Annual Development Effectiveness Review, thematic and country reviews;
12. Contribute to designing and maintaining MapAfrica, the Bank’s repository for results data, impact stories and data visualization;
13. Establish and maintain strong working relationships with other Bank departments and building professional networks with development organisations including multilateral development banks and the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development;
14. Supervise the work of consultants as necessary.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Development Studies or Political Sciences;
2. Have a minimum of six years of relevant professional work experience; experience in an international organization would be an added advantage;
3. Knowledge of results based management, managing for development results (MfDR) and evaluation;
4. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage;
5. Excellent technical and analytical skills and an operational track record of achieving results;
6. Strong conceptual abilities and the capacity to produce high-quality analytical work; good judgment in dealing with complex and sensitive policy issues;
7. Demonstrated ability to think strategically and synthesize complex issues;
8. Strong interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to work effectively with teams in a multicultural environment;
9. Strong IT skills and familiarity with database and project management tools, as well as econometric modelling and related software;
10. Ability to manage statistical assistants, and to recruit and manage consultants for ad-hoc tasks;
11. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED GLOBAL CAREER COMPANY LTD TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.