WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s) have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision
The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization. The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa. The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Bank’s Private Sector Development Department is to promote private sector in Regional Member Countries (RMCs), ensuring that it plays a central role in laying the foundations in the development role of the Bank, in line with the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5 initiatives.
As part of the PISD, the Strategy and Transaction Support Division is responsible for preparing strategies, policies, guidelines, and analytical tools relevant to the private sector development; it also ensures global client management and undertakes specialized assignments for the Regions and the Sectors. It also provides ad hoc advice on transaction bankability and structuring of transactions.
The purpose of the job is as follows:
1. Provide operation support to on the optimization of the legal and financial structure of transactions,
2. Develop and build project financial and economic models.
3. Conduct an independently research for potential structuring and modelling approaches in line with the Bank’s specific financial and legal requirements;
4. Closely interact with Risk Mitigation Officer to ensure consistency with the legal and financial structure of transactions.
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief Private Sector Transaction Officer, the Principal Structuring and Modelling Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Draft structuring opinions, present proposed solutions for investments under consideration, clarify the pros and cons of diverse structuring options;
2. Review of legal and financial terms of potential investments and transaction with a view of achieving the future secondary sale of assumed exposures to commercial investors, financiers and insurers;
3. Provide structuring guidance to Investment Officers through active engagement in the presentation to clients/sponsors of financing proposals, negotiation of financing mandates, emphasizing the benefits of loan syndication and co-financing services;
4. Assist in analyzing, understanding and acquainting with financial and economic models prepared by other Stakeholders, including project sponsors/owners.
5. Determine the appropriate conversion factors for linking the socio-economic constraints and financial cash flows in the models.
6. Determine the nature and magnitude of a project’s benefit including the financial and socioeconomic impact for all stakeholders.
7. Audit financial and economic models provided by project sponsors and/or other lenders.
8. Conduct sensitivity analysis on financial models, in line with the bank’s credit risk policy and guidelines.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. At least a Master’s degree (or its university equivalent) in Finance or Economics;
2. Generally more than six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or in strategic consultancy, business development, legal and transaction structuring.
3. Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
4. Disciplined approach whilst maintaining creativity and lateral thinking for effective problem solving;
5. Sense of initiative and innovation in proposing solutions to client needs;
6. Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues
7. Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
8. First-hand knowledge of private sector investments and techniques
9. Strong experience with corporate and project finance.
10. Sound knowledge of tailored transaction structuring options for sector based investments.
11. Experience with aggregation and pooling structures for investors
12. Ability to respond swiftly to new situations and to anticipate new issues;
13. Proven ability to acquire new skills (particularly in legal, investment, risk capital, technology and innovative sectors)
14. Proven ability to integrate socio, environmental and economic indicators in the model
15. Capacity to adapt to the rapidly evolving needs of the Bank’s Non Sovereign Operations ecosystem.
16. Solid negotiation skills, diplomacy and credibility to deal with clients at all levels.
17. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
18. Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP is desirable.
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.