- Position title: Regional integration coordinator
- Grade: PL4
- Position N°: 50071187
- Reference: ADB/17/242
- Publication date: 03/08/2017
- Closing date: 23/08/2017
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. To sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions. Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
Regional integration is essential for Africa’s realization of sustainable and inclusive growth. Integrate Africa is an ambitious priority as it aims at removing the Regional Member Countries’ economic fragilities, enhancing connectivity particularly, of the landlocked countries to enable the Continent benefit both from intra-African and international trade respectively while enhancing their investment potential Projected outcomes include removal of barriers to facilitate and ease the movement of persons, goods, services and mobility of factors of production. The integrate Africa function’s approach lean towards analytical and practical work streams that not only help in reducing the costs and time (durations) for doing business, expanding market access in the Regional Member Countries, consolidation of the smaller and fragmented regional markets across regions but also in facilitating value chains development and enhancing industrialization, cross-border investment flows and development of the African small and medium enterprises.
Core policy imperatives such as trade facilitation, trade in services, investment and sharing of knowledge products, remain significant in addressing soft infrastructure constraints while simultaneously de-risking the Bank’s hard infrastructure investments. Through strategic partnerships the Bank Group provides leadership in key trade-related matters such as: Continental Free Trade Area, Boosting intra-African Trade & Agenda 2063.
The Regional Integration Coordinator leads and provides strategic direction for the Regional Integration Coordination Office. The job ensures successful and visionary deployment of the integrate Africa work streams (regional integration and trade) particularly, in the areas of transport and trade facilitation, trade in services, cross border investment, trade policy, investment attraction, value chain, private sector development and regional infrastructure. Internally, the job holder plays the role of focal point and provides technical support to regional and cross border infrastructure operations and develop tools and knowledge products that are operationally relevant.
The incumbent also assists in shaping the Integrate Africa priority by providing advice and necessary support in deepening the Bank’s regional integration and trade analytical and knowledge work in consultation and in concert with the Regional Member Countries, Regional Economic Communities, international organizations, corridor management institutions and other relevant organizations’.
Under the overall supervision of the Director General & expert guidance from Senior Management from the Complex, the Regional Integration Coordinator performs the following:
- Coordinate the regional integration work in the region by fostering, strengthening and unambiguously defining and expanding the current work by mainstreaming regional integration in the Bank’s operations.
- Coordinate, at Regional level the preparation of the Regional Integration/Country Strategy papers and monitoring their implementation under the Director Generals’;
- Work closely and liaise with the Director Generals’ to provide specialist and strategic Bank wide leadership through ensuring that the Integrate Africa priority, is mainstreamed in the Bank’s other High Five priorities, including in relevant projects and programmes;
- Provide deep sector expertise on regional integration where the core activities could include mainstreaming, linkage and liaison with the Field based regional integration experts for the effective participation in the design of the Bank’s multinational operations to ensure quality at entry, synchronization and coordination to provide complementarity between the Bank’s hard and soft infrastructure investments.
- Support the Regional Office prioritization process by working closely with the Regional Office prioritization team and the region’s Country Programme Officers;
- Initiate, build, nurture and strengthen existing strategic partnerships and coalitions within and outside the Bank, including with the private sector, Continental organizations’ such as the African Union, Economic Commission for Africa and similar institutions and international institutions such as the World Trade Organization, World Customs Organization etc., on matters of integration.
- Assist the Director Generals of the region, to monitor the Bank’s contribution and effective participation in the African Union-Economic Commission for Africa and Bank led, Joint Secretariat Support Office and how the institutional deepening and coordination of Agenda 2063, the High Fives and the Sustainable Development Goals are being implemented.
- Provide effective and demonstrable support to the Regional Economic Communities and Regional Member Countries in addressing and/or implementation of specific inter-regional integration policies, institutional and regulatory issues;
- Serve as the focal point at Regional Office level and coordinate the implementation of regional integration priorities in the Directorates and other functional units in the Bank.
- Provide strategic leadership and deep involvement in the external partnerships with key stakeholders such as the African Union, Economic Commission for Africa, World Trade Organization, World Customs Organization, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development etc., and prepare and deploy the Bank’s inputs on pivotal programmes such as the Agenda 2063, Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme, Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa, Action Plan for the Accelerated Industrial Development of Africa, Boosting intra-African Trade and the Continental Free Trade Area.
- Play pivotal role in mentoring and providing professional guidance particularly, to the less experienced staff in the Division by assisting them in the preparation of programmes, analytical work, tools and other products and services;
- Foster teamwork among colleagues to ensure realization of the Regional Integration Coordination Office’s Work Programme.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovativeness through ensuring that the Regional Coordination Office’s ad hoc assignments do not proliferate and overwhelm or derail the Work Programme.
- Build teams within to ensure that relations with other segments of the Bank are aligned to facilitate the implementation of the Regional Coordination Office’s work streams successfully and effectively.
- Championing the Complex / Regional mandate and purpose - Provide a direct and indirect operational support that will contribute to the Region or Country output and mandate of the Division and or Complex.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s or its equivalent degree in Economics, International Relations/Trade, Law, Social Sciences or related International Development fields.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of uninterrupted, progressive and demonstrable experience on regional integration issues (transport and trade facilitation measures).
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Innovative & Creative: searches for and produces innovative and creative approaches to activities to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- The commitment to ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization to deliver the required results.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and distributed organization.
- Applies knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions and manage multiple competing priorities to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation: Ensures that the client (internal or external) is of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- First-rate interpersonal skills with ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations, creativity, and change.
- Communication - Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of the audience. Ability to communicate and defend or orally and in writing difficult issues and positions (in hostile environment as necessary) to Senior Bank management & government officials.
- Negotiation - Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external, and understands when and how to apply tact, influence, maintain a hard line, make or break contacts, understand unwritten lines of influence and conduct oneself accordingly.
- Ability to build successful teams, relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Professional Expertise: Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems/technology. Shares knowledge and expertise with others.
- Relationship management - Ability to build successful teams, relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive working and team environment in job holder’s areas of responsibility.
- Influential: Applies the competency when engaging with internal stakeholders within in the Bank and external stakeholders, understanding what motivates them and when beneficial and practical, how to navigate through resistance.
- Decisive: Good judgement about when to intervene, knowing when to get counsel from whom and how to apply it, and being clear about what needs to happen, how, when and by whom, and coordinating as needed.
- Take Initiative/Spotting Opportunity/Pushing Strategy: Applying a proactive rather than a passive mind-set, looking in and outside the box and beyond what is immediately apparent, identifying opportunities that are clear and may be hidden, formulating approach strategy and turning it into an action plan.
- Highly organised & structured – Structure all work activities to be able to provide updates or reports on short notice. Capacity to coordinate (Tasks, Missions, Projects, Programs): Routinely divers, highly complex/sensitive tasks.
- Possess robust analytical skills and the ability to write and produce high quality technical reports.
- Proven ability to conduct research, analyze and produce reports. Publications on topics related to trade and regional integration would be an added advantage;
- Ability to contribute to strategic thinking and to integrate strategies and policies into Bank programmes/projects;
- Ability to network with clients and help drive the Bank’s business efficiently and successfully.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in the work place in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to mentor, coach and to work effectively in a matrix management environment, both as a team leader and team member.
- Excellent Professional written and verbal communications in English or French with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint);
NB : Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.