WARNING AGAINST FRAUDULENT USE OF THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK’S (AfDB) NAME Read more
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions. Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
Chad Country Office of the African Development Bank has been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
The Secretary will work closely with the Country Manager and the Team to provide administrative support. The incumbent of the position will help the Country Manager and the team to make the best use of his time by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks.
Under the Supervision of the Country Manager, the Secretary will perform the following:
1. Make appointments for experts and other staff of the Country Office and keep their schedules up to date;
2. Receive visitors and attend to them with tact and discretion;
3. Prepare briefing material used by experts for official missions and special meetings;
4. Handle protocol-related issues concerning reception of the visitors of experts and of the Office;
5. Organize experts’ meetings ; assist the Country Manager’s secretary in coordinating official receptions given by the Resident Representative;
6. Participate in staff meetings, take notes and produce reports in the absence of the Country Manager’s secretary ;
7. Draft correspondence on non-substantive issues and ensure its follow-up;
8. Manage the experts’ incoming and outgoing mail and the office’s telephone communication;
9. Maintain an appropriate filing system; process experts’ back-to-office reports, ascertain the quality of documents requiring the approval and / or signature of experts and other staff members;
10. Prepare and finalize draft correspondence (letters, faxes, etc. ...) concerning various aspects, on behalf of experts, prepare minutes of experts ‘meetings;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
1. Hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in business administration, commerce, administration or a related field, supplemented by training in secretarial functions/administration/office management
2. Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience in progressive positions, attached to an executive’s office, preferably in an international organization;
3. Be able to work under pressure and to prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting. Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse background
4. Handling speedily and efficiently internal and external requests.
5. Ability to manage simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines
6. Proficiency in the use of standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopies etc.)
7. Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service focused reception and administration services
8. Be able to multi task, excellent problem solving skill and attention to detail
9. Effective communication; highly client oriented, good team working and relations
10. Ability to operate effectively in a multicultural organization.
11. Good innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits for the clients and the organization
12. Integrity and confidentiality
13. Proficiency in written and verbal communication in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other;
Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP or other ERP systems would be an asset;
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL THEREFORE NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.