Senior Administrative Assistant (Travel)
- Position title: Senior Administrative Assistant (Travel)
- Grade: GS8
- Position N°: 50091212
- Reference: ADB/17/003/2
- Publication date: 20/06/2017
- Closing date: 05/07/2017
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative interventions that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In addition to providing finance, the Bank is Africa's voice on global economic, financial and development issues, a role that has taken significant importance in light of increasing global integration and interconnected risks. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Africa Investment Forum; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Office of the President assists the President in planning, supervising and managing the business of the Bank Group. The Office of the President monitors, coordinates and supervises the implementation of various Bank programs including administrative issues relating to Directors reporting to the Office of the President; prepares and organizes the President’s missions and represents the Bank, in line with the President’s instructions, at international conferences and meetings and on working missions to member countries; prepares and organizes meetings with Bank’s Senior Management, and facilitates follow-up on the decisions of these meetings; reviews, evaluates and gives advice on communication and interaction between the Presidency and the various organs of the Bank; ensures the effective and timely implementation of Board and Management decisions; provides effective administrative and logistic support to facilitate implementation of the President’s programs; and prepares, monitors and submits summaries of audit reports to the President and follows up on the implementation of the recommendations of the reports.
The objective of the Senior Administrative Assistant (Travel) is to provide the Office support in making logistical arrangement for staff travelling and related matters to facilitate the efficient running of the Office of the President for the implementation of work program. Basic functions include receiving and handling requests and authorizations for official mission; preparing air travel arrangements accordingly.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Staff and Director of the Cabinet, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
1. Perform office administrative tasks and functions in the area of travel, e.g. arranging tickets and hotel bookings in the most cost effective way, within short deadlines and under pressure.
2. Receive and process all travel requests. Makes reservations and issues airline tickets and hotel booking as per the Bank’s policies and procedures with a goal of obtaining the best value.
3. Prepare mission Terms of References and assist with visa related matters; receive back to office report and ensure that it is shared with the Chief of Staff and Director of the Cabinet and Team Assistant for documents and archives.
4. Communicate with concerned colleagues for travel needs and problem resolution. Itinerary details include routing destinations, travel dates, financial considerations, and other air travel related issues.
5. Liaise with travel agency to obtain quotes for travel itineraries; confirm the budget availability with the Budget Officer and recommend to the concerned staff the most economical routing.
6. Plan, describe, arrange, explain and confirm itineraries to all concerned staff.
7. Explain to staff the Bank’s policies and procedures on mission travel related subjects and advise them accordingly.
8. Notify and keep staff informed about all changes related to their itinerary and their air travel arrangements.
9. Receive and review travel claims, and takes necessary steps to correct mistakes if any exist. Coordinate with Financial Control Department to ensure compliance and timely reimbursement.
10. Work with staff customers and other departments to resolve issues that may arise particularly related to itinerary changes and flight cancellations.
11. Assist the Office of the President with other office responsibilities if need be.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent in Business Management, Administration or related discipline.
- Professional IATA training would be preferred.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of progressively relevant and practical experience, in an executive office preferably in an international organization and experience of supporting operations.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of flight booking and hotel reservation.
- Knowledge of the bank’s travel related policies and procedures.
- Able to work under pressure and to prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting.
- Strong customer service skills: Interact professionally and promptly respond to requests with accuracy and a courteous demeanor.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail and ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- Strong proactive “can-do” approach: The ability to foresee problems and prevent them by taking action and utilizes analytical skills and a broad understanding of the business to effectively interpret needs.
- Excellent sense of initiative, confidentiality, enthusiasm, and team spirit: applicant must work as a competent member of the team, willingly providing back‐up support for co‐workers when appropriate.
- Broad understanding of the office: applicant must have knowledge of rules and procedures or experience and demonstrate an awareness of fundamental office principles.
- Excellent spoken and written English and French.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point, SAP and/or other integrated travel management system).
INFORMATION ON THE POSITION:
THE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP HAS RETAINED DEVEX TO ASSIST WITH THIS APPOINTMENT. TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK ON “APPLY” AS DISPLAYED ON THE APPLICATION PAGE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE FOLLOWING LINK:
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT)
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.