- Position title: Senior civil society engagement capacity building officer
- Grade: PL5
- Position N°: 50093662
- Reference: ADB/17/200
- Publication date: 11/05/2017
- Closing date: 31/05/2017
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the VP will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The role of the Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is to operationalize the High 5 priority of “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa” with focus on Gender, Women and Civil Society.
The Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is designed to improve coherence and coordination across Complexes on Gender and Civil Society Organization issues. The department will ensure strategic priorities which are reflected in resources allocation, enhanced monitoring and management of performance, and strengthening the focus on results.
The Senior Civil Society Engagement Capacity Building Officer is responsible for monitoring & evaluation, knowledge management and reporting issues on Civil Society Engagement in the Bank.
The Senior Civil Society Engagement Capacity Building Officer under the supervisory of the Division Manager, Civil Society and Community Engagement performs the following:
- Monitor progress achieved on adopting participatory approaches and the extent of participation by stakeholders in Bank financed projects;
- Provide knowledge sharing on Civil Society Organisations related issues;
- Coordinate provision of training for Bank staff in areas of participatory approaches and inclusive growth to development;
- Report to management on extent to which Civil Society Organisations and other stakeholders were consulted throughout the project cycle, and were involved in project implementation focusing on High 5s;
- Report on the extent to which Bank financed operations employ participatory approaches in country programming, projects and programs;
- Support Civil Society Organisations related issues in the Regional Offices;
- Contribute to staff training;
- Assist to organize the Civil Society Forum at the Annual Meetings;
- Communicate with Civil Society Organisations on a regular basis and manage Bank’s overall engagement with civil society;
- Forge strategic partnerships between Bank and Civil Society Organisations focusing on delivering High 5s;
- Develop projects which integrate participatory approaches/methodologies for financing, such as flagship projects under selected High 5s or poverty alleviation projects;
- Operate and update Civil Society Organisation database for knowledge sharing and collaboration; and
- Strengthen the Bank staff capacities on Civil Society Organisation engagement
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Social Development, Sociology, Geography, Anthropology, Economics or closely related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of Five (5) years of professional experience in participation and civil society engagement, advocacy and policy dialogue skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of regional social issues, analysis and policy formulation; knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries is an added advantage
- Experience and aptitude for multi-stakeholder training and facilitation, including the design, facilitation and delivery of participatory trainings and training-of-trainer workshops for adult learners;
- Familiarity with principles of organizational learning and development;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; well organized, and able to prioritize multiple tasks, while driving results;
- Good communication skills and ability to build effective working relationships in a diverse multicultural environment;
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competences in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Information on the position:
The African development bank group has retained global career company ltd to assist with this appointment. to apply, please click on “apply” as displayed on the application page or access through the following link:
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.